Crazy world

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have no idea how much or how little I know about printers.
I know as much as you have indicated - and that is that you know very little. Did you even know that 'Bubble Jet' is a Canon patent and that Epson don't use that technology? What you have said indicates that you didn't.

selectortone said:
You might have a point if I were printing photographs or similarly graphics-intensive pages.
If you are not printing photographs then you don't need an Epson printer - and would actually probably be better off with a Laser (any manufacturer).

'Compatible' cartridges - they are not 'fake', just not made by Epson or even to the stringent standards that Epson demand - will cause nozzle 'clogging'. I had a customer with 3 Epson Ink-jet printers and a new member of staff decided that they could reduce the company printing costs by using 'compatible' supplies. Within 14 days all three printers had been destroyed. Not only did I regain the supply of 'genuine' Epson cartridges, I got the sale of three new printers - and the thanks of the MD!!

our new but oldish printer died....ink dry
went to buy new cartriges and nearly died at the cost...no pirate copies here....
so just binned the printer...
the local print shop charges just 10 cents a page, even both sides
so why would we bother owning one.....no effort getting there cos we're there shopping anyway....
plus when we needed forms n copies of proof printing to get our Visa's he knew what was needed....
so when we turned up we had the correct paperwork....
so supporting local business is a good thing for us....

About 18 months ago we bought an HP Smart Tank printer. As the name suggests it has CMYK tanks that are filled from bottles. We are still on the ink that came with it with enough left in the black bottle for another fill. Best printer I’ve ever had.

You obviously have no idea why Epson make by far the best ink-jet printers and why they still refuse to license their technology to any other manufacturer!

All other manufacturers use the Canon 'Bubble Jet' technology which uses a heater to create a 'bubble' which explodes, forcing the ink (uncontrolled quantity) out of the nozzle. ---- Epson on the other hand use a Piezoelectric pump to deliver a specific amount of ink (as little as 0.2pico-lt). This means that the quality of the ink (the size of the particulate matter) must be finer since the nozzles are smaller than those using the Canon technology. 'Compatible' ink cartridges do not use the superior quality inks so risk clogging the nozzles.
Horses for courses and all that. I used Epsom for many years, various A3+ Models, and had nothing but trouble with blocking. I switched to Cannon a few years ago and will never go back. Photography is another key hobby of mine and I print and frame a lot of images.
I completely agree on the outrageously high cost of ink. My printer takes twelve cartridges at £45 each. I have tried alternatives in the past but have not been 100% happy with the results. I run a fully colour managed system, including custom profiles for the printer.

For ink?

I saw someone offering ink for £10 per month.

New cartridges will last me a year or more if they don't dry out.
HP instant ink. £1.99 a month pays for 50 pages. A page can be a document with text or a full page full colour photo. A4 photo print at 4p a print is pretty decent. Any unused pages get carried forward to the following month. If you build up too many pages, drop the subscription to 99p a month for 15 pages till the saved ones are used.
So, for £24 a year I get to print all my colour and mono printing and cartridges are sent to me in advance of needing them.
when I bought the printer I got 5 months free of 300 pages a month of instant ink included, all for £60 including the printer. That’s crazy.
works for me.

For the average home user HP Instant Ink is the way to go. We bought an HP OfficeJet 4658 (print/scan/copy) about 6yrs ago from Currys, seem to recall it cost £59.99. It came with a £50 cash back from Currys in the form of an Instant Ink subscription. Plus the model we bought also came with 9 months 'Free Trial' of the Instant Ink scheme from HP. PLUS i then went online and got myself a further 2 months 'free trial' cant remember what it was for or why. So i got 3yrs of free subscription at £1.99 per month.

The £1.99 buys you 50 pages of print. The 'page' can be as little as one word, or a full blown colour print using glossy paper. What pages you dont use roll over for up to 2 months (was 1 month when we first started but is now 2).

The very clever bit is its the printer that keeps checking itself, and when it decides you're running low IT orders the ink, and it just arrives like magic in the post. Doesn't matter how much ink you use the £1.99 subscription pays for ALL the ink you use. So if you only print 2 or 3 pages a month for instance then its probably not for you(?) but if you want to print your 47 page insurance document (my missus :rolleyes:) or your A4 full colour holiday snaps on glossy paper, then go to Lidl and buy their packs of 50 glossy print paper for £4.99 and subscribe. You can change your plan online when ever you like. Subscription plans go from 15 pagers per month up to 1500..!! (see attached...)

Its a little difficult for naysayers to get their heads around the concept, but trust me it works and its brilliant :)(y)
HP subs.jpg

This thread immediately reminded me of this vid I came across the other day….it may answer some of the questions raised. Bear with it as all will become clear in regard to printers 👍

For the average home user HP Instant Ink is the way to go. We bought an HP OfficeJet 4658 (print/scan/copy) about 6yrs ago from Currys, seem to recall it cost £59.99. It came with a £50 cash back from Currys in the form of an Instant Ink subscription. Plus the model we bought also came with 9 months 'Free Trial' of the Instant Ink scheme from HP. PLUS i then went online and got myself a further 2 months 'free trial' cant remember what it was for or why. So i got 3yrs of free subscription at £1.99 per month.

The £1.99 buys you 50 pages of print. The 'page' can be as little as one word, or a full blown colour print using glossy paper. What pages you dont use roll over for up to 2 months (was 1 month when we first started but is now 2).

The very clever bit is its the printer that keeps checking itself, and when it decides you're running low IT orders the ink, and it just arrives like magic in the post. Doesn't matter how much ink you use the £1.99 subscription pays for ALL the ink you use. So if you only print 2 or 3 pages a month for instance then its probably not for you(?) but if you want to print your 47 page insurance document (my missus :rolleyes:) or your A4 full colour holiday snaps on glossy paper, then go to Lidl and buy their packs of 50 glossy print paper for £4.99 and subscribe. You can change your plan online when ever you like. Subscription plans go from 15 pagers per month up to 1500..!! (see attached...)

Its a little difficult for naysayers to get their heads around the concept, but trust me it works and its brilliant :)(y)View attachment 126671
Totally agree. I have the cheapest subscription with them. Transformed my user experience, I print a lot more photographs and never find my expensive ink cartridges have dried out.

About 18 months ago we bought an HP Smart Tank printer. As the name suggests it has CMYK tanks that are filled from bottles. We are still on the ink that came with it with enough left in the black bottle for another fill. Best printer I’ve ever had
I use an Epson ecotank and get similar life from the tanks of ink. The printer was way more expensive than others, but I can't be bothered dealing with cartridges any more. Probably the most expensive way of buying ink, but just hassle free.

I've converted most of my printers to CISS systems, initial outlay is expensive but they tend to have an ROI within the year.

A good CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) will replace the standard ink cartridges for a print head and is supplied via tube to a top up system. Running costs are way cheaper as you actually have the option to buy better quality inks in volume, itself given that economy of scale. Another benefit is that the ink levels are always visible so easier to keep an eye on them prior to errors or mid way trough a print. It's fairly similar to the Epson Ecotank and HP's own tank system (mentioned up there ^) just sometimes more flexible in using a printer you already have or want to purchase as opposed to that system device.

The Instant Ink system/s, and tank system/s mentioned above seem v interesting to me. AFAIK they're not available here - or at least, they weren't last time I looked for a printer. Perhaps that has changed now, dunno, but next time - not soon I hope! - I need a new printer I'll check it/them out.

Thanks to everyone above for the info.

Weve had a little Cannon printer scanner bought as “refurbished” from ebay for around 6 years, its only ever had the cheapest ebay compatible cartridges in it and its still working just fine, it gets used perhaps twice a week for a few pages of text and I think thats the secret of keeping them going, if they are used the ink doesnt dry out in the nozzel,,just as an aside dont you think they are an amazing bit of technology,,how do they spray out photos etc??
Steve.

I've converted most of my printers to CISS systems,
Thats the best way if you are into photography especially with A3, you just had to make sure they provided a decent ICC profile so your color management was sound. I don't use them now but do remember some of the earlier systems could be messy.

Its a little difficult for naysayers to get their heads around the concept, but trust me it works and its brilliant :)(y)View attachment 126671
I use this system and it is absolutely brilliant. However, I have just been advised that my £1.99 monthly subscription will shortly increase to £2.99 but this is still very worthwhile for me.

Thats the best way if you are into photography especially with A3, you just had to make sure they provided a decent ICC profile so your color management was sound. I don't use them now but do remember some of the earlier systems could be messy.
Yeah the only printers I haven't converted are a couple of Epson PRO 1's as the colour match is not great and that's the very purpose of these printers. I daren't look at the current cost of Genuine PRO 1 ink sets right now.

Not been into photography for a while now but last time I was discussing this it seems that Cannon have become more prominent in printing, it was always Epson when I was looking at printers and the cost of cartridges is still the issue so some things don't change.

we bought an Epson ET-4550 which is part of the range they do that doesnt use Cartridges. it has built in Ink tanks that so far in 2 years has only needed filling up once after putting multiple boxes of paper through it. A complete set of ink is about £40 I think. The initial outlay for the printer is pretty hefty but over the time it'll last if you print enough pages then it'll payback in the long run

I never realised how expensive printer cartridges were until I started doing the home schooling thing during lockdown

I normally just print off the odd invoice but suddenly it was pages and pages everyday, and in colour 😲

Cost me a fortune.
I made the mistake of not keeping an eye on the HP instant ink usage during that time one month. Eye watering prices if you go over your plan allocation.

I know as much as you have indicated - and that is that you know very little. Did you even know that 'Bubble Jet' is a Canon patent and that Epson don't use that technology? What you have said indicates that you didn't.

If you are not printing photographs then you don't need an Epson printer - and would actually probably be better off with a Laser (any manufacturer).

'Compatible' cartridges - they are not 'fake', just not made by Epson or even to the stringent standards that Epson demand - will cause nozzle 'clogging'. I had a customer with 3 Epson Ink-jet printers and a new member of staff decided that they could reduce the company printing costs by using 'compatible' supplies. Within 14 days all three printers had been destroyed. Not only did I regain the supply of 'genuine' Epson cartridges, I got the sale of three new printers - and the thanks of the MD!!

Our cheap epson has had compatible cartridges ever since the half filled originals ran out.... must be 10 years plus and no clogging, no problems.

Back