`crazy or what

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you guys get the point! I understand the point being made as this: the likes of Kew Gardens, Museums etc have to be self funding and they provide interest to a large number of people over several generations, to say nothing of the history and educational value. They charge a small entry fee to ensure their sustainability and this is where I think that the Olympics differs; the cost for entry is high, (excluding many people in this troubled economy), the funding is via the tax payer, (without consultation showing a cost/benefit analysis), the duration is short and many of the visitors will not be from this country, but it's our taxes that will pay for it. Yes, money will come into the economy, but we will only receive a fraction of that income in tax; much of the money coming in will go direct to foreign countries, such as the Dutch brand Heineken being given the 'pouring rights', meaning that no UK brands of ale can be served in the Village. I do see the 'point' and whereas some people refuse to alter their opinions, I have read all of your comments carefully and also done some Googling of my own and realise that I haven't really understood the cost to us all!

I think you'll find that they are funded through the Art Council etc.

Roy.

I think you'll find that only some of the funding of the Arts Council is funded by the Govt. The rest comes from the National Lottery and you're ignoring the duration and educational argument!

I think you'll find that only some of the funding of the Arts Council is funded by the Govt.

That's how I understand it to be.

Roy.

doctor Bob":1mw0afpe said:
It does seem strange that most woodworkers hate football, the Olympics, The World Cup, Tennis, fireworks, modern music, Radio 1, Sky TV, youth of today ....... I could go on but haven't the time.
Actually I like sport, sky TV, football, tennis (I play badly at the local club), fireworks (having organised displays and set them off), some modern music (but Radio 1 is just not my cup of tea).
I'll probably watch some of the olympics on TV, which I could do wherever it's held and means I'll probably get a better view than most attending.
I'd just rather not pay so much for something so transitory.

I like most sports, play footy twice a week, ride a road bike, play cricket occasionally when local club are short, have been known to play golf, used to do martial arts and like watching sport too. I (we) do seem to be in the minority among the woody community though for some reason, or so my experience of comments on the fora over the years seems to suggest.

Pete - i kind of agree with your comment on the expense/length argument, but I saw something on telly the other night where someone (can't remember who) said that this is the only time that the Olympics will happen in this country in our lifetime. I heard that and rightly or wrongly, in my mind, I agree with it.

Yes it's a massive expense but it's also a massive worldwide event that, if we get it right, will showcase what the UK can do when we try. And in this time of economic doom and gloom (rightly so), anything that can excite a huge number of people surely has to be a good thing.

Cheers
Mark

Sounds about right to me. The argument that the money could be better spent elsewhere may well be valid, it is the same argument used about expenditure on stately homes, was used about space research and was probably used in Spain when Columbus set sail.

Roy.

Yes, I agree that there seem to be a load of moaners around. Just be proud that we won a very hard fought contest to stage the Olympics without resorting to the means by which it is ALLEGED FIFA makes its choices!

As far as comments on better uses of our taxes I would make the following points:-

Firstly we have spent over the last 8 – 10 years HUGE amounts on new hospitals (which are often too small, located out of town and hard to get to and very expensive to run due to PFI) but have seen no real increase in ‘customer care’.

Secondly we have spent similar amounts on new schools without any significant increase in educational atainments. I still maintain that 'O' levels and 'A' levels were much harder when I took them, and relied on 'knowing things'. For proof, did anyone see the documentary on Grammar Schools last night?

Finally, still on education, we have had an arbitrary figure of 50% of children to go to university. Why? This has lead to huge increase in costs which is part of the reason why tuition fees are required.

Phil

Just to stick my tupenceworth in. How much are we having to pay to fund "Team GB"

ie paying people to indulge in a hobby, ok so some may say it is not a hobby due to the amount of effort they put in, But why should I as a taxpayer fund travel, accomodation etc for these people. We on here have our hobby but we dont get funding for it from the government.

Ok rant over

I somehow doubt that HMG is funding the Olympics for the benefit of the competing athletes.

Roy.

Joakley":26rgtfle said:
such as the Dutch brand Heineken being given the 'pouring rights', meaning that no UK brands of ale can be served in the Village

If this is true it seems utterly ridiculous to me. Not because of any feelings about exclusivity, but because it seems to me that Heineken is so different from 'ale' that it's basically a different drink. Or have Heineken got exclusive alcohol-supply rights in the Village, meaning no athlete is allowed to enjoy vodka or stout or port or gin or anything else either? (Or worse, exclusive liquid-refreshment-supply rights, so every drink has to be their crappy lager? ;-) )

Plus the fact that athletes start as amateurs, hobbyists like us, without the Olympics I guess the majority would continue to compete in inter-club events.
If there was a Woodworking Olympics I imagine many would compete in that as well.

Roy.

Woodworking Olympics,now there's a thought
We are already part way there, (hammer throwing)
How about a wood turning marathon for starters???

Jacob to enter the sharpening race, me for the High Jump! :lol:

Roy.

Back