`crazy or what

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstainwilly

Established Member
Reaction score
I read in the paper that we are having to tighten our belts
a little more because the government are unable to make
ends meet. On the same page they tell us that TWO
MILLION QUID was spent of fireworks to welcome in
the new year. I know on the scale of things it is not a lot
but this money I am sure could have been better spent.
Willy.

I have just been ranting at the telly because Cameron has just said how it will be a difficult year for the family purse, but the Olympics and Jubilee will make everybody feel better about it. I would feel even better if a big bloody chunk of my family's purse wasn't being spent on the stupid Olympics and jubilee!!

Si

knappers":2dlzi9gy said:
I have just been ranting at the telly because Cameron has just said how it will be a difficult year for the family purse, but the Olympics and Jubilee will make everybody feel better about it. I would feel even better if a big bloody chunk of my family's purse wasn't being spent on the stupid Olympics and jubilee!!

Si

Not really a big bloody chunk is it ..... a little chunk yes.... of course I have no idea of your wealth / poverty.. but say the Olympics cost £9Bn and the cost is spread between 30million people thats £30/head, spread over 8 years thats 7p per week.
Statistics ... aren't they good :lol:

cambournepete":tpvg0a6m said:
On the bright side I got every ticket I applied for - i.e. none!

pete you lucky thing, my luck was also in as i got all i applied for, none!

adidat :lol:

The ones that you should really feel sorry for are the poor (?) sods who applied for 1/2 dozen hoping to get one and got the lot at a couple of grand each :shock: More fool them maybe :twisted: :twisted:

I think that the only games I will watch in these Olys are 2 man tobagon and catch the javlin, oh, maybe head the shot too :?

Strange the Olympics

When it was first announce that the UK had won :(

They had a web site that you could log on to and give your support

I sent a email asking for the details of a web site that I could log on and say I don't want it , its too much of a burden

Needles to say I DID NOT GET A REPLY :evil:

doctor Bob":1q3cx8ir said:
knappers":1q3cx8ir said:

Si

Not really a big bloody chunk is it ..... a little chunk yes.... of course I have no idea of your wealth / poverty.. but say the Olympics cost £9Bn and the cost is spread between 30million people thats £30/head, spread over 8 years thats 7p per week.

Thanks for putting things in perspective, why are folk so miserable, I know times are tough but why not get a little bit excited about the Olympics. Perhaps most woodworkers don't like sport, shame.

doctor Bob":2molc80n said:
knappers":2molc80n said:

Si

Absolutely Bob! Not to mention the money that it WILL generate into the UK economy.

But why let facts get in the way of a good old moan. ;)

Cheers
Mark

I don't know about the Olympics, it appears to be a London thing.
I would suspect that it will be very lucky if it only winds up with a
few million of debts but other wasted money like the fireworks could
better be used on things like road repairs or to get a hospital ward
out of moth balls etc.

TrimTheKing":2bm13dzv said:
doctor Bob":2bm13dzv said:
knappers":2bm13dzv said:

Si

Absolutely Bob! Not to mention the money that it WILL generate into the UK economy.

But why let facts get in the way of a good old moan. ;)

Cheers
Mark
Yeah but they will only waste that the same as all the other tax payers money. :roll:

It does seem strange that most woodworkers hate football, the Olympics, The World Cup, Tennis, fireworks, modern music, Radio 1, Sky TV, youth of today ....... I could go on but haven't the time.

I'm looking forward to it and have tickets :D
I am in discussion / negotiation with the wife on euro 2012 as well.
I loved the London fireworks

I seem to be in a minority group of 3, you bunch of moaning minnies :lol:

doctor Bob":19s1mtny said:
It does seem strange that most woodworkers hate football, the Olympics, The World Cup, Tennis, fireworks, modern music, Radio 1, Sky TV, youth of today ....... I could go on but haven't the time.

I'm looking forward to it and have tickets :D
I am in discussion / negotiation with the wife on euro 2012 as well.
I loved the London fireworks

I seem to be in a minority group of 3, you bunch of moaning minnies :lol:

Looks like its time to change your avatar to Mr Happy :lol:

doctor Bob":1bkjyaju said:
knappers":1bkjyaju said:

Si

Statistics are amazing when you apply them according to your viewpoint, as most of us know, however you break it down
the money that is being spent on the olympics could be put to better use,

Lots of people enjoy sport, lots don't.Why should 30 million taxpayers fund a sports event that only a percentage will enjoy? and an even a smaller percentage will profit from.

You could make exactly the same argument for state support for Stately Homes, Kew Gardens, Museums, Art Galleries, RSC, RPO etc, but I think we would be the poorer for it.

Roy.

Yep! But you won't get into the olympics for nowt either!

Roy.

Back