craft supplies limited 2000 pcc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russell85

Reaction score
hello all first post here nice to meet you all

iv just been given Tyme Avon, after a bit of hunting round iv worked out iv got craft supplies limited 2000 pcc chuck so after a bit of head scraching i thought i might be going mad as for the life of me i could work out how to undo the chuck, after a bit of googling turns out im missing a few bits like Chuck Spanners

i havnt been able to find replacement craft supplies limited 2000 pcc spanners so i thought id ask around here if anyone knows of a work around, someting like a axminster chuck-removal-spanner as i dont know what will and wont fit the chuck. iv been using a Lumberjack SWL350 375W 230V Variable Speed Wood Lathe Starter Kit :shock: for the last few months with most of the work done off the flat plate so im a little lost with chucks

anyway any input would be great thanks people

Do you have a photo of the chuck?

I have the same lathe, inherited from my grandfather and still going strong!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What you need to look for is C spanners. There are plenty of places that sell them, you just need to know the diameter needed to match the chuck.

I too have a 2000 PC chuck and need to replace the screw chuck as it broke off in z piece I was turning the other day. If any one has a spare please let me know.

Thanks

That would be great Paul. I am after the screw chuck part for mine, which broke on me a few days back. I use the chuck itself pretty regularly and find it good as a strong expansion chuck which inspite of its age still works well for me. I have two other more modern chucks as well.....................

No screw chuck but I did find these - all threaded for a graduate (1 1/2" x 6tpi).
There appears to be a craft supplies PCC chuck with various jaws, a craft supplies mini-grip chuck and a third small collet type chuck. All three have a pair of C spanners.

Are any of these of interest?

Attachments

• 20190414_215448.jpg
    20190414_215448.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 713
  • 20190414_215725.jpg
    20190414_215725.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 712
  • 20190414_215807.jpg
    20190414_215807.jpg
    799.3 KB · Views: 705
Thanks for looking Paul. I have got most of these or similar already. My lathe is 1inch by 8tpi so the chuck bodies would be wrong too.

Thanks anyway

Ivor

Ah, so you found the c spanners Paul. You might recall I took a CS chuck with me when I bought Ray's graduate, but no spanners were to hand. I've been unable to undo it with the spanner I did have, so haven't done anything with it yet. So a set of spanners would be useful.

I did. I've been pondering what to do for upgrades: go fully Axminster and get one of their evolution chucks, or use all my old jaws and get a Sorby (can't get an adaptor for my SC4 chuck it seems). But I also took one of the craft supplies chucks hoping my C spanners would unlock it - but that left me scratching my head for a bit, and of course I haven't used it. I quite liked the look of it as it was quite compact, the old Axminster chuck with backplate is big by comparison, I'd prefer something closer to the spindle - kinder to the bearings!

matt_southward":3by53hz5 said:
I'd prefer something closer to the spindle - kinder to the bearings!
The weight and protrusion of a balanced Chuck should have negligible effect on the bearings compared with any shock loads from interrupted cuts or out of balance pieces.

Convenience or otherwise of protrusion in use on a particular lathe headstock design is another matter.

Just think about the loads a Car Wheel bearings absorb and they are on a much shorter axial separation.

The inertia requirements of initially spinning a heavy chuck up may load the motor and any drive chain a little more, set against that is its ability to use its spinning inertial to absorb interrupted cut shock loads and smooth out the cutting experience.

matt_southward":38uoquir said:
I did. I've been pondering what to do for upgrades: go fully Axminster and get one of their evolution chucks, or use all my old jaws and get a Sorby (can't get an adaptor for my SC4 chuck it seems). But I also took one of the craft supplies chucks hoping my C spanners would unlock it - but that left me scratching my head for a bit, and of course I haven't used it. I quite liked the look of it as it was quite compact, the old Axminster chuck with backplate is big by comparison, I'd prefer something closer to the spindle - kinder to the bearings!

If you already have Sorby jaws yet would like some of the Axminster ones as well then go for a Versa chuck 3 as you can buy carriers to fit a number of manufacturers chucks I have one and use Sorby and Axminster jaws on it. If need the backplates can be brought separate as well allowing for easy change if you buy a different lathe with different threads

VERSA CHUCK

Hi Matt,
All those chucks are for sale (each with C spanners) if you want to buy one or other of them. I'm down in your part of the world next week so could bring it with me.

While what you say about spindle overhang is true, I wouldn't worry about the overhang on the Axminster chuck compared to a narrower chuck with regard to a Graduate lathe. They are pretty substantial machines and are built better than many modern lathes.

Latest posts

Back