Craft Shows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

For the past few weekends Wifey, baby and I have been checking out the local craft fairs. Today we went to 'Craft in Focus' in Canterbury. It was a bit more 'Up Market' than the others. Lots of jewellery and textiles. There were 2 turners in attendance. One was the usual dibber, light pulls, coin dishes, etc, etc. All very nicely made and finished. The other turner concentrated on a few items like earing stands, pen tidies and bud vases, but they were a bit more modern/contemporary in their style.

What confused me is that there were no hollow forms, bowls or platters. Let alone anything which might be called 'art'. Pretty much everything else was either contemporary or 'art'. For example a photographer displaying\selling a series of pics of a wooden sheep set in industrial backgrounds. Not to my taste but definitely 'artistic'. A large stall with pottery which contained all the classic shapes used in wood turning. One guy was showing some absolutely stunning lamps which totally blew me away. He carves them out of wood then colours them and then brush applies lacquer. The finish was perfect even under close inspection.

I guess I'm just wondering why the 'other side' of wood turning was not represented? Do you think they were refused a stall or not interested in selling at these places amongst seemingly similar types of 'craft'.

Nothing against the 'traditional' craft turnings, I like them very much.

I realise this might stir up the art vs craft debate, but that's not my intention.

In my experience you can't get the prices for decent hollow work at a general 'Craft Fair'. As I've said before, you can sell them but down to a price. Again it all depends on what you wish to charge for your work. Lot's of folks will say, "I only want to recover my costs." Yeh! Most can't get a realistic price for their work. This is not meant to be derogatory to anyone, but it is factual.

Better to look for a more up market outlet, usually a shop. Then of course you have to pay them a pretty good mark-up.

Also the couple of fairs I have done, you could almost set the sales by percentage. ie; below a £5 lots of sales, £5-£10 maybe 15-20. anything over £25 you might get a couple of sales in a day, and £50 up your singing if you can shift one of those. There is always the exception to the rule, but the above is my experience.

If you want to sell the fancy stuff then. as Tam says don't bother with craft fairs. You need to go to a gallery ideally. I am lucky as therer are loads of craft shops in Cornwall but even there it's as Tam says. I have just got my name picked up by an organisation that does exhibitions in the National Trust homes a couple of times a year and there is some scope ther but generally it's the smaller (boring to make IMHO) things that sell.

Pete

I understand this of normal craft fairs. But this one was different. On display was pottery starting at £90 for a 4" round bowl up to £600 for a large hollow form. There were 3 furniture makers in attendance who all had top notch bespoke, contemporary furniture on there stall. The lamp guy I mentioned above, prices started at £80 up to £500, averaging around £300 for the standard sized lamps. Then next door was the man with his light pulls and dibbers.

From the above comments, I can only assume that this 'fair' was not 'sold' well enough to turners or they could not find a turner interested. Which is a shame because IMHO hollow forms and large platters, etc would have fitted right in. I went along for a bit of inspiration and took away a lot more from the pottery than the turners.

A couple of weeks ago we went to one where there was a guy displaying some really lovely turned items. No hollow forms but simple platters and bowls. But on close inspection there where very very obvious sanding marks. I felt really bad for the guy and almost mentioned it. The lighting in the hall was such that it bounced off every line. What a shame he'd not spent the time to get the sanding right. His tool skills and 'vision' was spot on.

I attend steam rallies and a good friend of mine does a lot of wood turning and usually is set up next to us. He seems to do pretty well, and like he says it is a weekend away. So he enjoys himself and makes money as well not a bad combination

wizer":1zylujy6 said:
I understand this of normal craft fairs. But this one was different. On display was pottery starting at £90 for a 4" round bowl up to £600 for a large hollow form. There were 3 furniture makers in attendance who all had top notch bespoke, contemporary furniture on there stall. The lamp guy I mentioned above, prices started at £80 up to £500, averaging around £300 for the standard sized lamps. Then next door was the man with his light pulls and dibbers.

How many of the £300 lamps were still on the stand at the end of the day?

Fair point, he said he'd done good business over the 3 days. I'm not sure any of the items were intended for direct sale.

As I said above, the lamps where in the company of many other like priced items. The turner with the dibbers and bottle stoppers was the odd one out in my view. But you're right, his direct sales may have still earned him well.

Most of the Pro. turners that I have come across over here have commision or clients .These would be long time turners who have built a reputation over many years.There are two/ three shows a year which are must go to events and I think that is all they would bother to exhibit at because they would get national coverage at.
Last friday night on the biggest TV talk show we have there were six different art subjects displayed to advertise a gallery show which was being staged in one of the top gallerys. Each of the six exhibitors had two pieces to show. One was woodturning there were two pieces by Liam O Neill and they by the crowds reactions stole the show. I would not attempt to describe them but they were fantastic.
By the same token at a craft show a few weeks ago 4 very good turners pooled to gether to set up a stall costing 400euro for the weekend and no I was not one of them I said Good turners each put up four pieces and Two pieces were sold. These turners work has been featured in Magazines and the prices were break even prices so selling your work no matter how good it is ,is just being in the right place and being able to afford the cost of the pitch.Or better still by Commision. well done Pete. REgards Boysie

Very interesting thread. I think you need a good spread of stuff from your stunning large eyecatching pieces to the usual range of nick nacks and widgets. You will see the more artisan studio turners at a range of the more up market craft and design type events. There will be a few at Westonbirt wood show in Gloucestershire over August bank holiday.

Back