craft fayre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a note to say Mrs. Sliver did her very first craft fayre today :D .

She didn't do too badly considering how quiet it was as none of the stall holders 'made a killing'.

She has been invited to do the East Coast this year as a result.

Mrs. Sliver does the east coast!!!! NOW THAT DON'T SOUND RIGHT!!!!
Dodgy movie title or what :shock: :roll:

Serious note though, she did enjoy the day & her friend from work had a spinning & wool stall right beside her so she had some one to talk to.

She had a lot of good comments from customers even if they weren't buying. The main thing being she has a foot in the door. Wish us luck. cheers, Sliver.

it was...... interesting!
craftshowponte080309016.jpg

Hi looks great fun, do you just pay for the table and turn up ? or is it more involved than that? I am thinking of doing one before xmas.
Thomasb

Hi Mrs S. Long time no hear. Good to see that you are still turning. Thought perhaps you'd lost the urge but judging by your gallery you have been busy. Don't be such a stranger. Congratulation on the fair. First of many hopefully

Pete

Sorry I have been away so long chaps! :( But I have had my usual juggeling act with finding time between work, family and sleep and then trying to make sure I had enough to take for this first one.

I will start a new thread later today with an update on my 'experiments'

Basicly Thomas, that is about it! you need to find a show in need of a turner. I just went to local one for the Christmas Fayre and asked the organizer and she said her regular turner may not be doing any more and got in contact, I filled in the form and paid me dosh. But there are sites in t' interweb if you just type in craft fairs that will tell you where and how to apply for the ones you fancy.

I am just pleased I now have a 'fayre box' full and packed up for the next time, so I can go and 'experiment' in the workshop again .. huray!! \:D/

The stall and items look very good congratulations on getting you feet wet. :D

One recomendation I would make is that if you are going to do more get some lights for the stall, they really do make the wood stand out even in the brightest of halls.

john

Thanks guys.
Lights are a good idea John, I was in a dark little corner this time so a shame I didn't think of that! I have been offered the loan of some spotlights for next time. but the next one (probably) will be June and outdoors.

Mrs S, when I used to do craft fairs before we moved over I made 2 simple fold down stands with a couple of shelves on them. They were made from MDF and just slotted together with cross halving joints and were held down by 'F' cramps to the table. I have a photo of them somewhere on this dreaded PC but I am blowed if I can find it.

Basically what it did was to increase the table space quite dramatically and display me bits in a much less crowded way. If you are interested I can dig the shelves out and take a couple of photos of them to show exactly what they look like.

One thing that we found was there seems to be no obvious sense to what you are going to sell at a craft fair. One time you would be lucky to clear the cost of the table and another that you though oh dear why did I come here you would sell most of the items and go home tired but suprised ad happy.

One of my favorite things was to make book marks from very thin slivers on nicely grained wood, thin yew branches are always lovely, and sell them for £1 and pyrograph names or what ever the customer wanted on them. It backfired one day when a very strange femail asked me to write "Freedom's just another word for nothing else to loose!" I asked her if she wanted the rest of the song on there too, butthe stony faced reply was no thank you? One young lass at a Christmas fair asked for 8 bookmarks, all with different names for her school mates. They were a really unusual small gift!

Good luck with it. It is great fun.

P.S. I have just realised that the photo I was looking for is on my photobucket album! :oops: It isn't the best to show the shelves, but it gives an idea and you can see the 'F' clamps holding them solid.

DSC07274.jpg

Another idea I saw for small things at a fair was a log with shelves made of cross sections of branch slotted into it. It looked really effective wih small night lights and weed pots on it. Could be adapted for other things I guess. I was thinking of doing some for myself. I'll post a pic if I get round to it.

Pete

Bodrighy":ib99uslp said:
Another idea I saw for small things at a fair was a log with shelves made of cross sections of branch slotted into it. It looked really effective wih small night lights and weed pots :shock: on it. Could be adapted for other things I guess. I was thinking of doing some for myself. I'll post a pic if I get round to it.

Pete

Who weed in them Pete? :evil:

Good ideas there! I did need some shelves. because it looked like a jumble sale! :roll: I may just get onto Sliver and Mitch to make me some for next time.

I like the idea with logs Pete, I almost took a few of varied sizes just to stand things on, making shelves with them is a better idea ... but ... I may just spend the whole fayre eying them up for what I could make from them!! :lol:

I was surprised at the items that sold! I did not price them too high, and had some 'cheap and cheerfulls' and thought it would be the little stuff that sold, but it was mainly lights and anything with a bit of 'bling' on. people are such Magpies!!

Just checked out your photos John ... nice pyro! makes mine look like it was done but a confused chimp! 8-[

Latest posts

Back