Cracks in planer blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old Bursgreen planer. I got three sets of blades with it, but not very sharp. They are probably fairly old. I was sharpening one set when I noticed tiny cracks on the cutting face. Has anyone else seen this before? One of the blades is a Wadkin HSS, so OK quality. The first picture shows a small nick at the crack but other cracks have no sign of damage. Some of the cracks run a couple of mm into the blade.

Apart from old age, is there anything else which would cause cracking?

Any recommendations where to get new blades?

Blade cracks 2.JPG

Blade cracks.JPG

ive never seen cracks like that.

that blade is dangerous.

there are loads of places that sell new -Im not sure if there is any difference in quality, they arent much money thought.

Yikes!
That’s the flip side of very hard steel that will keep a sharp edge, it’s more brittle.
Age doesn’t necessarily mean degradation, or that they were of any particular quality to start with
Aidan

I have an old Bursgreen planer. I got three sets of blades with it, but not very sharp. They are probably fairly old. I was sharpening one set when I noticed tiny cracks on the cutting face. Has anyone else seen this before? One of the blades is a Wadkin HSS, so OK quality. The first picture shows a small nick at the crack but other cracks have no sign of damage. Some of the cracks run a couple of mm into the blade.

Apart from old age, is there anything else which would cause cracking?

Any recommendations where to get new blades?

View attachment 102334

View attachment 102335
Hi they look like they have been over heated when they have been reground. HomerJ

Hi they look like they have been over heated when they have been reground. HomerJ
Maybe they'd grind out if you did it carefully? Certainly look a bit dubious. On the plus side if they are going to break up it's likely to be when they are stuck in a piece of timber, rather than flying out in bits. I know this from a breaking up spindle cutter - the bits were firmly embedded.

Back