Cracked Skewed mouth chariot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
Spotted a highly unusual chariot on the bay so took the plunge.

My most used chariot is also this size 4" so was gutted when it arrived and discovered a hair line crack running half way up the bed.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Any suggestions ?

I do have a bullnose plane with a similar crack that I could experiment with first.

Thanks,
Carl

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 921
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 921
I'm no expert but have repaired similar using a very fine saw and then filling with epoxy from a syringe and clamping

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it going any further. You could epoxy it or you could find a friendly welder to weld it for you, but welding cast isn't great and the heat may warp it

Seller didn't mention the damage and the pictures were appalling, very apologetic and offered a full refund on return but I countered with a partial refund so I'm happy. Figured if one ever came up again I might not be able to afford it.

This one didn't mention the word Chariot either but didn't stop it from flying.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301719378787? ... 1435.l2649

Mr_P":3is7puk8 said:
Seller didn't mention the damage and the pictures were appalling, very apologetic and offered a full refund on return but I countered with a partial refund so I'm happy. .............
All's well that ends well! :)

Is it iron or brass? I can't tell from the photos.

Welding might be a bit tricky on cast iron (people say, I have never tried it), but how about brazing if you have the equipment?

I think a polished brass line in a grey casting looks very smart.

Apologies for poor pictures it's cast iron and yes brazing can look good.

b01.jpg

After reading the other thread on skewed block planes and sleeping on it, decided it might be best to do nothing. Can't think of a job it could do that my small bullnose couldn't and the bullnose can get further into corners than this.

Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

Attachments

• b01.jpg
    b01.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 711
Back