CPX Carbide Inserts - holder required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biker_smith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just bought a bunch of CPX carbide inserts today at an autojumble, to use on my Colchester Bantam lathe, in the hope that I had the correct holder at home. But I don't, can someone please tell me what is the correct holder I need and the best place to buy in the UK?
Many thanks - Paul.

20210903_162119.jpg

assuming it's for metal work....
look at the model engineering forum they have plenty of recomends...
worth joining anyway....
dont bother with RDG tools...mostly c@rp from India....very disapointed...
but there are many others.....
also you can get the same stuff from China at fractional prices...it does take a while to get here tho....
never a prob with the post and dont buy the cheapest...prob buy the holder and get 10 extra bit free...

Be careful what holder you buy - I don't think CPX is the code for the insert. Most I've come across are a 4 letter code, like CNMG or CCMT. There's plenty of charts out there to ID what you have like this.

dont bother with RDG tools...mostly c@rp from India....very disapointed.
That's good to note. I have just started using them. I got a dial indicator with magnetic base for just over £20. (free postage in UK). I really didn't expect much. I bought it from them, because it gave a clamping force for the base, so even if the indicator was rubbish, I though it was worth getting. I have to say, I was quite surprised with the kit. The indicator is fine and good enough for what I need just now. 10mm travel 0.01mm/div. The base is brilliant, Probably Chinese? not sure
I was looking for some carbide inserts and tools as well.

I agree with TFrench that CPX is unlikely to be an insert code - if it is, you may have a problem as in the ISO system X is used to designate a custom design.

Can you measure the angle of the cutting 'point'? That would be helpful in trying to ID the inserts. It would also be useful to know the the codes for the holders you already have, but don't fit. That would eliminate some possibilities.

Personally I've not had much luck with cheap self-imported Chinese holders and inserts - I suspect it's a lottery.

JB Cutting Tools is a good source of UK-made holders at modest prices. It might be worth contacting them to ask if they recognise your inserts.

I can see the attraction of finding a holder for inserts which presumably cost next to nowt, but it may be more trouble than it's worth. If it turns out that they are designed for industrial speeds/feeds they won't work well on a Bantam size machine.

Bob.

Latest posts

Back