CPU temperature

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's nothing wrong with 50% or 90% processor usage when starting or using software like Paint Shop Pro.

When you say 'lock ups' is that to say that your PC freezes mid flight and becomes completely unresponsive or is something else happening?

Hi. Mr. Jay,

That blinking arrow wont move or the keyboard will not work.
So I pull the mains plug.

Funny thing these days, when I restart it never wants to do a scan disk like my old xp computer.

48 hours so far without a lock up.

I pulled the PC plug off the 5 piece surge socket board and placed it in a different position.
Perhaps the socket points are dirty after 8 years?

No I have left psp for the moment.
The corel forum reckoned a 90% spike on pspX1 can sometimes be expected.
I've got over 4gbs. in My Pictures, and they load up in the psp organiser.

Sorry I havn't got back to you. Hopefully problems will clear up, otherwise you're in no-man's land and need to do some serious trouble shooting. PCs are complicated and there's lots to go wrong.

Hopefully you're not using a 64bit version of XP or Vista, as these are frankly not ready for prime time and are generally unsupported by hardware manufacturers. If you are you're on your own.

Some older software doesn't play nicely with new-fangled dual core processors, but on a fresh install that shouldn't be a big problem.

It's a while since I played with windows, perhaps someone can help with directions, but there should be the facility to turn off or down hardware acceleration for video and sound which may help narrow things down.

It's probably worth checking out the Device Manager to see if there are conflicts or failing that unplugging anything that isn't essential (including internal stuff)

And there is always msconfig.

Thanks Mr. Jay for your advice.

I must have been running for 3 days now without a lock up.

It would appear (at the moment anyway) that the PC plug to the 5 socket mains supply was either not pushed fully in or has dirty contacts.(I exchanged the position of the pc plug with my joystick device)
So enjoying my new computer after three months of hard labour that I have not put the plugs back to their original position.
Must do a bit of flying and see if the joystick keeps me on course.

Back