Course recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Thomson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm keen to learn about metalworking, but struggling to find any courses in my area (Norfolk) that aren't full-time. Does anyone know of any in the Norfolk area (or even further afield if an intense course over a few days)? The only thing I could find was the Axminster engineering courses which are down in Devon. I don't really know anything about metalworking so would like to go through basics such as types of metal, filing, bending, creating basic brackets, drilling etc.

The reason I'm looking is that I found myself needing to make a bracket that's to be used as an engine lifting eye. I already had some 4mm mild steel so drilled a couple of holes and bent the steel. However, I'm now needing the form a kind of 'D' shape at one end, and aren't sure about the best way to achieve this. I feel like the problem is that I don't know what I don't know, and would hope a course on the basics would help remedy this.

Any recommendations greatfully received.

Thanks,

Jimmy.

If you post a sketch of what you are making it would aid members to advise you.
You will need to contribute to the forum with more posts first (see posting rules) in order to be able to upload your sketch.

Thanks for the reply. I'll sort out a sketch at some point. I don't doubt the willingness of the community here to help out with advice and suggestions, but ideally I'd like to get some hands-on experience with a tutor if possible. Failing that, I'll definitely be asking for more advice here soon (I'll create a separate thread for that though).

Thanks again,

Jimmy.

Try your local colleges. Many do evening classes in all sorts of things. I recently did two to learn MIG and the TIG welding and they were great.

Thanks guys. I've already done a MIG course at my local college, but no general metalworking courses that aren't full time unfortunately.

Jimmy.

Back