Courier to collect Ebay purchase?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've just won a Meddings bench drill on Ebay. My problem is that the drill is in Lincolnshire and I'm in Scotland so I need to have it collected. The seller says it weighs 51 kg without motor (it is a bit of a project but I got it for £16 and I have a 1/3 hp induction motor lying in the garage ready to fit). I guess I'm looking at someone like Palletforce but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative. I have an online quote of £60 + vat which is still cheaper than me taking a day off work and a 600 mile drive but we Scotsmen have to look after our reputation for watching the pennies so any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks guys,
I've signed up so hopefully I'll get a quote or two to consider.

Hi George - just across the water from you so I know the hassles of getting kit up here.

Can't help you on the transport side and now I come to think of it, I'm more recording my Ebay success than helping you along the way.

I struck it lucky some months ago in that a 3 ph Fobco Star came up near Paisley and the price didn't go silly. Collected it, got something knocked off because the start/stop buttons were missing and then had the good fortune to pick up an old 3 ph inverter off Ebay for £15 so the missing buttons weren't required and I now have a neat unit which has a lightweight on/off switch and variable speed.

Hope you get your machine OK - if you want to go the 3ph route with a controller PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Rob

Try interparcel, I have used them to send items from Ireland to France very good service and easy to use .

cgw59":hvbdoshp said:
Try interparcel, I have used them to send items from Ireland to France very good service and easy to use .
I'd second that. They were very good during the recent snow episode and got my parcels through in good time, and they're competitive on price too.

OldWood":2hjg73v1 said:
Hi George - just across the water from you so I know the hassles of getting kit up here.

Can't help you on the transport side and now I come to think of it, I'm more recording my Ebay success than helping you along the way.

I struck it lucky some months ago in that a 3 ph Fobco Star came up near Paisley and the price didn't go silly. Collected it, got something knocked off because the start/stop buttons were missing and then had the good fortune to pick up an old 3 ph inverter off Ebay for £15 so the missing buttons weren't required and I now have a neat unit which has a lightweight on/off switch and variable speed.

Hope you get your machine OK - if you want to go the 3ph route with a controller PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Rob

Hi Rob,
I was originally looking for a Fobco Star but was put off by the prices they go for and the fact that most are 3ph. The Meddings I have successfully bid for doesn't have a motor at all and I have a single phase motor that I hope will fit without too much bodging, so I'll try that before spending any more money. It's good to hear from another member north of the border and if my motor doesn't work out I may well give you a call for help.

Jonrms,
thanks for the link. Transglobal look like a good bet for delivery, half the price of the other online quotes I've had so far. In addition, my son in law's company has a contract with a pallet delivery company who should also be able to do the job for about £35. I'll also give interparcel a look...thanks all.

Latest posts

Back