Country living

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to make myself a cuppa a looked out the kitchen window to see this little beauty having a bite to eat ,in the last pic a Robin decided to get in the action as well .
Nice to see nature up close even if it was through a window which needs cleaning:whistle::whistle::whistle:.

Attachments

• 20220427_180946.jpg
    20220427_180946.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220427_180949.jpg
    20220427_180949.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220427_180955.jpg
    20220427_180955.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 127
gog64 not entirely sure, we often get them and sometimes several at at a time, mostly roe and fallow deer i believe, a number of years ago there was even a deer farm in the village and a number of those escaped into the wild.
That,s true Mike,the Goshawk is a small songbirds worst nightmare we have regular patrols from Kestrels/sparrow hawks and on a night time/evening and early mornings the barn owls come out to play.

No it isn't a muntjac; they are smaller and have little horns.

I have noticed in my lifetime there are a lot more birds of prey. I often see buzzards and Kites when out and about; they are big when they get close! Also a lot more magpies

gog64 not entirely sure, we often get them and sometimes several at at a time, mostly roe and fallow deer i believe, a number of years ago there was even a deer farm in the village and a number of those escaped into the wild.
That,s true Mike,the Goshawk is a small songbirds worst nightmare we have regular patrols from Kestrels/sparrow hawks and on a night time/evening and early mornings the barn owls come out to play.
The goshawk was photographed a couple of years ago but last week a sparrow hawk swooped down to the same feeding station, missed it's target and landed on a strawberry bed. It looked straight up at me for a second before flying off. The main raptor sightings around here are Red Kites and Buzzards so these two were a bit of a treat.

No it isn't a muntjac; they are smaller and have little horns.

I have noticed in my lifetime there are a lot more birds of prey. I often see buzzards and Kites when out and about; they are big when they get close! Also a lot more magpies
It's a Roe Deer doe

Juvenile Roe?

We’re “blessed” with vast amounts of wildlife, a combination of no pesticides for decades and neighbours who farm soft fruit! Common birds of prey are buzzards and kestrels and slightly rarer are red kites. The weirdest are owls though. One of the neighbours has nesting boxes for them and the fledgling chicks make a loud hissing noise. Literally like a nest of vipers. Very strange the first time you hear it!

We had a pair of red kites raise 3 chicks in the woods immediately behind us last year which was an absolute delight. We do see owls and kestrels and on my list is to build an owl box. We have a lot of muntjacs around and also roe deer.

Yearling roe buck. If you look at the side profile of it's head it has antlers.
Can't see the antlers only ears and at one point I even thought I could see tusks which would bring Chinese Water Deer to the mix if it wasn't for the white rump! I think we agree it's a Roe.

Droogs you should hang out on the 2 or 3 kilometers of highway near me in the winter. Anywhere from 6 to 16 Mule Deer get hit by cars each year. Gotta be quick though because the Ravens and Magpies get on them when the sun comes up. They are bumper tenderized for you too.
Pete

Back