Countersunk bolt for whitehill block problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armagh

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening. I've purchased a block for my spindle moulder that has a recess in the top to allow workpieces to pass over the block. I bought the block from axminster and it's arrived in a Whitehill box. The block includes a suitable countersunk washer, but no bolt to attach the block to my spindle.

My issue is that my spindle is tapped for an m12 bolt. I can only find bolts with countersink heads that are 24mm in diameter, but the washer supplied is 20.5mm at its narrowest point, leaving very little grip. Can anyone advise? The bolt I need appears to be m12 by 40mm. The head could be up to 30mm in diameter and would still work.
20200910_211742.jpg

I'd say you'd need to get a new washer with a smaller bore made up to suit, anyone with a lathe could knock one out in a few minutes.

I'd get a high-tensile (black) countersunk cap screw as well, stainless steel is just asking for trouble.

Speak to Axi, they may be able to assist. I agree with Trevanion on the bolt selection as well, stainless is not a good route.

Thanks. I'd bought stainless because stuff rusts in my shed, but I'd not known it might be a problem. I'll email Axminster today, but I've seen a bad review posted on this product concerning exactly this issue.

Back