Countersink bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of buying cheap countersink bits that last 5 minutes and then become blunt.

Can anyone recommend a quality bit? Either a drill/countersink combo or just a countersink bit alone.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

not much help yet
but I ordered one from wealden tools today
I will report back when it arrives

Steve

I like zero flute countersinks, they are not too difficult to sharpen when they do get blunt and I get no chatter in wood or metal.

I do like the snail shell type, big advantage being that they can run backwards, and don't vibrate in the stock, but I've never found one (of either generic sort) that works perfectly in all types of timber.

Axy do (or did) a set of three snailshell ones and I've one odd German snailshell one that's really good steel.

Otherwise They're generic Bosch or Dormer. I can't make up my mind whether the odd- or even-fluted ones work better. Have both but like neither.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/star-m-s ... -16mm.html (sold out atm on WH)
Got one in either a sale or using up my annual birthday tool voucher ( Hard to buy for?! :D) and like any other Star-M stuff is a absolute joy to use. Even (very carefully now, it's brand new) on o1 mild it just ate it up. Still can't understand why Star-M gear is not more easily available over here. Don't have the money, expertise or experience to buy the top German gear on the likes of Finetools (although I am guilty about thinking about buying some bits there sometimes when I forget I have a mortgage and 2 kids to feed) but can't imagine the Star-M is far off and compared the price is pretty good. I have a couple of select auger sizes by them and nothing else I have seen or own comes close. The quality is tangible. Not saying they are better than others listed above of course, just the best I have used.
Cheers
Chris

For years I used Record 852 pattern.Not sure if they are still available or what name they would be sold under now.

boardgamer":3kciqkgp said:
I've always had great results with Festool countersinks. (but £££, and you need the Festool drills!)

+1

They're the same as Eric's snail shell design.

But like all things woodworking they're only as good as the maintenance you put in. They too blunt after a hundred or so countersinks, especially if you countersink MDF or ply. I sharpen my Festool ones regularly for ultra clean cuts with zero tear out, but that needs a suitable size cylindrical hone and a bit of patience.

Love the snail type bits. Lost my first one and gulped at the price Axminster charge for them now so chanced it on a set straight from China on Ebay. Couldn't tell the different from the original so very pleased.

boardgamer":1qnpo8o5 said:
I've always had great results with Festool countersinks. (but £££, and you need the Festool drills!)

Sadly, yes - but oh the depth-setting makes it worth it.

Latest posts

Back