counter boring kitchen unit hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Hi,it's my first post and I need some advice on drilling holes for kitchen door hinges.Have got a 35mm counter boring bit but even with careful use it machines oversize and means the hinge does not fit snuggly,any advice welcome ,thanks in advance.

Hi,

You need to use them in a drill press to get accurate sized holes, I have a TCT tiped one and collar that I use in my router, that works very well.
I also have a 35mm forstener bit with the point ground shouter that works, it just a matter of holding it still while it cuts.
An electric drill in a drill stand will work I got by for yeard with one clamped on a workmate, but a proper drill press is a big upgrade.

Pete
Pete

I just bought an 8 mm shank one for my festool router last week from wealdens it was spot on . I drilled out 40 holes in no time at all. You have to turn the speed down. I just used the standard fence to set the position I was worried at first it might kick and spoil the doors but it was fine I suppose because they have spurs and a centre point they are more stable.

Anyway if you go the router route then look at wealdens

I use a Famag boremax bit freehand, the point allows a steady start, only ever done it with oak doors but still going strong. A drill stand would be better but I'm impatient!

I use an 8mm shanked bit in the router, use the router edge guide and can clamp it down then plunge in like a drill press.

Chems":2egnvkcz said:
I use an 8mm shanked bit in the router, use the router edge guide and can clamp it down then plunge in like a drill press.

Yeah I was trying to think of ways to clamp my of1010 down but it was 7pm I had 40 hinges to drill on doors I was fitting the next day so I just set up the fence and went for it :D . I was drilling mdf so not too bad, what I did like is that there's no mess with the router method (if you use an extractor). When I've got time I will knock up some sort of clamping jig for next time.

I didn't see your post when I made mine sorry to say the same thing.

I have done it sans clamp, and only once did it go wrong and the router started dancing around!

These provide the convenience of simply using an electric drill with the surety of a pillar drill, up to a certain point. They are called tech mobiles and are marketed under the wolf brand -
tech mobile.jpg

...bossshogg :)

Attachments

• tech mobile.jpg
    tech mobile.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 64
Chems":2jaydpgq said:
I didn't see your post when I made mine sorry to say the same thing.

I have done it sans clamp, and only once did it go wrong and the router started dancing around!

Yeah I remember that well :oops: when I started out years ago I used a router to do hinges and it quite often slipped but ever since ive just done them with a cordless drill, it pays to have a decent bit.

Back