Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Count count......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Angusmccoatup

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear All,
I was delighted to discover the site and have had a good number of queries answered and myths dispelled for which I am most grateful but as I expected there are a good many people who are able to spend way more time online than me..... and of course each to their own....... all to often the visits here are in an effort to manage a crisis, a broken or malfunctioning machine or the best way to manage a new tool and almost always at a moment of 'high tension' so a huge thank you to all who take the time to post tips and solutions and share knowledge in a world where it seems everything has a price...... even if garnered at no cost..... thank you again to the sharers....

That said, could the wise and informed please advise on how the 'count' system works? It is a shame that entering a group as an interested and continually learning newbie one finds even better there is a place to look for those elusive tools hidden even deeper by the mask placed upon us by COVID.... but then one has to have 'counts' .... I am sure there is a good reason but it does have a faint whiff of the string on 'member grades or levels' I saw a while ago.....

As I said I am sure there is a sensible reason and look forward to finding out how I may strive to be elevated sufficiently to look for the Hollow Auger I am so hoping to source.... thank you

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
The "count" refers to the number of messages, or posts, a member must make on the UKW to gain access to some of the features. For example, in order to be able to send and receive Conversations, or private messages, a member must have a count of at least three messages. The minimum message count is required to reduce the likelihood that a someone will join and immediately begin spamming the membership through the Conversation feature. This could still happen, but the three-post barrier is the least intrusive method to protect the membership.

You now have a count of one message as shown in the image below, so two more to go before you can send a Conversation.

Message-1.jpg

Access to create a message in the Market Place forum requires a message count of at least 25 contributing posts. The intent for the number of messages here is to establish a presence on the UKW before trying to sell. You can still reply to existing threads in the Market Place, but we would like to know you a bit better through your activity here before we allow you to start selling.

Please let us know if this didn't answer your question.

Angusmccoatup

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike,
still feeling my way hence not spotting your reply...thank you for this which helps a great deal..... At present I do not want to sell but would be keen to follow up if I spot something for sale.... I will pop a few posts on to see if I can get to 25.... my understanding from the other post was it is 50 though? Sorry if I am being dim!

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
No need to apologize. You can freely reply to any thread in the Market Place now, and in one more post you will be able to send and receive Conversations.

The message count for creating threads in the Market Place is 25. We corrected the text in the rules and the forum description a few minutes ago.

Angusmccoatup

Established Member
Reaction score
Cracking, thank you for your patience Mike....... All thinking behind process fully appreciated and I feel much more welcome here :)............ All thanks A

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
It's my pleasure. You should be able to see your first Conversation now. If you look in the upper right corner of the screen next to your user name, there should be an icon shaped like a bell with a little red "1" on it.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
It's my pleasure. You should be able to see your first Conversation now. If you look in the upper right corner of the screen next to your user name, there should be an icon shaped like a bell with a little red "1" on it.
Would that be a slip of the finger?
Thought conversations was the envelope Mike?
Cheers Andy

Linus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
No need to apologize. You can freely reply to any thread in the Market Place now, and in one more post you will be able to send and receive Conversations.

The message count for creating threads in the Market Place is 25. We corrected the text in the rules and the forum description a few minutes ago.
Intriguing Mike. If that is the case, then why, when I look at the for sale forum, do I see that I have insufficient posts to allow me to start a thread, not that I wish to at present? Sorry to be a pain but hey, that's why newbies get confused!

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Intriguing Mike. If that is the case, then why, when I look at the for sale forum, do I see that I have insufficient posts to allow me to start a thread, not that I wish to at present? Sorry to be a pain but hey, that's why newbies get confused!
The message count for the Market Place was changed just before I replied to Angusmccoatup's original post. If you tried to post something before then, please try again. If you tried after my reply Angusmccoatup, we'll have to look into why you can't post. It could be related to the automatic updates that run daily to update the UKW member status. However, you should have access now.

jonw1664

Reaction score
Dear All,
I was delighted to discover the site and have had a good number of queries answered and myths dispelled for which I am most grateful but as I expected there are a good many people who are able to spend way more time online than me..... and of course each to their own....... all to often the visits here are in an effort to manage a crisis, a broken or malfunctioning machine or the best way to manage a new tool and almost always at a moment of 'high tension' so a huge thank you to all who take the time to post tips and solutions and share knowledge in a world where it seems everything has a price...... even if garnered at no cost..... thank you again to the sharers....

That said, could the wise and informed please advise on how the 'count' system works? It is a shame that entering a group as an interested and continually learning newbie one finds even better there is a place to look for those elusive tools hidden even deeper by the mask placed upon us by COVID.... but then one has to have 'counts' .... I am sure there is a good reason but it does have a faint whiff of the string on 'member grades or levels' I saw a while ago.....

As I said I am sure there is a sensible reason and look forward to finding out how I may strive to be elevated sufficiently to look for the Hollow Auger I am so hoping to source.... thank you
Thank you for asking this question, I have had the same luck of understanding but not got round to trying to solve it - I now think I understand (probably a dangerous assumption! )
Thanks
Jon

Angusmccoatup

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for asking this question, I have had the same luck of understanding but not got round to trying to solve it - I now think I understand (probably a dangerous assumption! )
Thanks
Jon
Jon, glad to know it's not just me and equally relieved the Moderators were on it like a shot and it seems you and I were not alone..........!

Latest posts