Council offering FREE loft insulation, labour included

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I am suspicious, despite being assured that this is National legislation. I am dubious, because every time I have tried to claim for anything, up to yet, I've been told to 'go away', because I have a Private Pension as well as a State Pension. (Aren't I lucky? No not really. I just sat down fifty-odd years ago and pondered about the future; that is now!) The point is, if I let the Council help, are they REALLY going to foot the bill, without asking me later for the cash?

Also, thirty years ago, I close-boarded my loft, and the 4" (100mm) thick insulation that was there, is still there. It was the recommended thickness at the time, and it didn't extend above the ceiling joists, so as the loft was going to be just for storage, I left it, and screwed down the boards.

I am aware that recommended thicknesses are constantly being reviewed; the way things are going, the whole of the loft space will be one huge ball of fibre-glass wool! My BIG question is, will the contractors want to lift all of my boarding, and put a 12" layer of yellow or pink cotton-wool all over the loft? (Thus wasting perfectly good storage space. ) Or can they beef up the existing insulation, and cover it again; I.e, does insulation work as well, if it is squashed down? I really don't want to dispense with the flooring if I can avoid it, as I would then have twice the storage problems I have at present!

Alternatively, maybe the Council would pay for solid insulation between my rafters? (If so they are welcome to come around. :D )

I hope that wasn't too garbled:

Has anyone had any experience with this 'scheme' please...

Thanks in Anticipation..

The answer to your question is no! Not here in Wales at least, yes it is free at our age, I've had mine done.

Roy.

Funnily enough ...We are in the same quandry floor has been laid on top of joists with i would say about 4 inch insulation in between...my take on it is that i would have to lift floor to get the minm insulation now (approx 10 inches) so floor will not go back on top ........we have tea chests up there we have never unpacked and we have been here 20 years lol
bought again what was in them lol
i believe it also may be means tested but i could be wrong

Dave

From personal experience they won't lift or replace boards just lay the new over the boards or refuse to do it. These free deals are legit but based on the lowest common denominator.

If you are able to lift the boards and add height to the joists they will probably lay it for you to then board over.

Thanks Gents. I hear the call 'Means tested'!

So okies.. I will dig my hand deep and have what I want!
Which is more or less what I have. 100mm wool under the boards, 300mm insulation over the bedroom ceilings ( under the eaves, where I can't get any more!) and I'll add rigid insulation between the ridge rafters and plasterboard over. (Or at least Number-One Son will do it.)

But I'm having my shed first! :lol:

Tinbasher":3ukfhx4v said:
From personal experience they won't lift or replace boards just lay the new over the boards or refuse to do it. These free deals are legit but based on the lowest common denominator.

If you are able to lift the boards and add height to the joists they will probably lay it for you to then board over.

Not enough headroom if I raise the joists, and even then I have to replace boards. :(

As for the LCD, it's as I thought... Well, I guess I'll sort it myself. Insulation Rolls are cheap enough. Rock-wool is a bit pricey, but I believe it works!

Thanks again folks.

:D

Hi BW if you are prepared to lift the flooring you could use these

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Constru ... 797/p44016

to raise the height then put 2x2 bearers on and replace the floor

When one of the builders merchants were doing loft insulation for £1 a roll I bought the max 30 rolls that you could buy and then I made simple ladder frames from 2x2 that I fitted at right angles to the joists, laid the insulation between and then put the boards back down

Thanks folks.

Thanks Haggis,
Sadly those 'legs' are too high to leave enough head room, so I wouldn't be able to store anything up there after those are fitted.

Thanks Roy,

I got as far as they want to come and turn my house upside down to see if it's suitable!
They should know. They are supposed to have valued it for Council Tax purposes! :lol:

Seem I might qualify though.
I'll make further inquiries.. Thanks.

Looks like I lift the flooring, and let them get on with it. I'll have a bigger shed for storage, and forget ever going up into the loft again! :lol:

IIRC John it's not the Council who carry out the inspection, rather an agent for the group/company that installs.

Roy.

I've had the free offer twice, the last one a couple of weeks ago.
I told the caller that they would not do it as my loft was full of stuff.
He insisted that he was sure they could work round it and made an appointment for their Surveyor to come round.
Sure enough the same response - I would have to clear out all the stuff and lift all the boards. "Cannot you just supply the rolls and I will do it myself - sorry no sir! " :)
It's on my list to empty the loft one day but not just now, so that was that.

I few years we had subsidised cavity wall insulation through the Council which wasn't means tested and last year our Plumber got us £300 off a new gas boiler from some Gov Grant Scheme.

Rod

Latest posts

Back