Could not watch Youtube on my smart TV?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, you may have to re do the install of the youtube app on the telly. sometimes happens to me especially with nowtv

I watch utube on the PC.
But occasionally I can't get on netflix on the smart TV.
I have to do an initial set up, which is easy enough and keeps everything right for a few months.
I have no idea why though.

Thanks above, it appears my problem lies with the TV which is around 13 years old (Sony bRAVIO), and on that living room tv I use Humax and that appears now not to allow me into Blue tube at the present time unless I pay for a subscription. The smart tv in the bedroom is only a few months old and that is still OK for now with the tube.. ( I need a bedroom tv owing to now only sleeping a few small hours these days. ) So this year I now have to pay a TV license plus a subscription!!!!!!!!!!!!!! getting old is not so much fun.

So this year I now have to pay a TV license plus a subscription!!!!!!!!!!!!!! getting old is not so much fun.
Pretty sure you could get around the subscription, not sure how, There must be an internet connection to the TV, so you should be able to go straight to utube.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, a Google Chromecast can be a really simple answer. It's a tiny computer which can run the YouTube app (and many more similar). It plugs into an HDMI socket on the TV and connects to your home wifi. You can use your phone or tablet to control what it does.

It doesn't need any smart features on the TV.

A pleasant side effect is that you get far fewer adverts.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, a Google Chromecast can be a really simple answer. It's a tiny computer which can run the YouTube app (and many more similar). It plugs into an HDMI socket on the TV and connects to your home wifi. You can use your phone or tablet to control what it does.

It doesn't need any smart features on the TV.

A pleasant side effect is that you get far fewer adverts.
Thanks again, looks like I have got to search for another thingamebob.

Hi Devonwoody - I had same issue on my fairly old Bravia - It stopped showing quite a few apps that were there previously - who knows why?

My best solution was just getting an amazon firestick £50 squid (was reduced to £29 in their sale recently grr..) - one off purchase and all free apps like y tube / bbc iplayer / channel 5 etc all back up and running easily via the wifi & it just plugs in back of TV

Hope that helps, Cheers, Nick

Eventually companies stop supporting old TV operating systems whichis why apps might stop working or vanish entirely. TVs sadly get given all these smart features without the processing power to cope properly. This is why the experience is often slow even when new.

Something like a Roku or Nvidia Shield AppleTV or one of the many other options solves the problem. How much you want to spend will depend on what you want from it.

Personally I have Nvidia Shields.

@devonwoody Two other options that may work for you - you tube itself can ’throw’ to some smart TVs from a tablet or phone just use the icon in the app and it will show what it finds - also (definitely with Apple - I assume with android too) you can get an av out connector that will allow you to connect a hdmi cable to your device and use it that way - some apps (SkyGo) don’t allow this but you tube, prime and Netflix do.
HTH
Padster

@devonwoody Two other options that may work for you - you tube itself can ’throw’ to some smart TVs from a tablet or phone just use the icon in the app and it will show what it finds - also (definitely with Apple - I assume with android too) you can get an av out connector that will allow you to connect a hdmi cable to your device and use it that way - some apps (SkyGo) don’t allow this but you tube, prime and Netflix do.
HTH
Padster
any chance you can post a link at amazon on that gadget please

any chance you can post a link at amazon on that gadget please
So here is the official Apple version Lightning Digital AV Adapter You can find non official versions online for much cheaper but I’ve seen people say they aren’t great and others they work perfect so you takes your chance As they say - I have the official one.

When my firestick won't function, as it sometimes decides to rest, I just need to unplug the firestick for about 15 seconds and then plug it back in and the firestick automatically resets. It's a bit of a pain because getting off the chair is not easy at the moment but it's hardly a problem. Have you tried something similar Woody?

John

I have not got a firestick, I used the Humax to take me to Youtube and Chrome will no accept the connection now, but has done the past 12 months.

Edit. It appears my Humax recognises the problem not able to connect to You tube and is working to find the solution,, this report comes from telephoning Humax for help;. Thanks all

Last edited:
Lots of gripes on the A/V & My Humax forums. You were lucky to get through on the phone it seems.
- Humax youtube app problem
- Youtube re-directing « My Humax Forum

Humax also announced issues with iPlayer & termination of the Youtube app
- Humax
Also now my smart TV would not let me into Youtube this morning at 2am,have now got to go to youtube and activate a password number, I expect a charge might be imposed????????????????

Next it will be I/Player and BBC have already got us OAPs in their sights?

It's about continuing to support old devices and the cost of doing so. Literally every app for every device needs to be a bit different unless they are running something like android TV.

I've never seen YouTube demand payment to access the service. It's not their business model as they make money on the ads and premium.

Also now my smart TV would not let me into Youtube this morning at 2am,have now got to go to youtube and activate a password number
Is there not a browser in your TV?

Pretty sure there is and pretty sure it will be slow, but once you get to utube it should be fine.
Better than nothing anyway.

Latest posts

Back