Could EVERYONE stop making stuff so I could afford the materials..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulogngham

StillJustAboutGotAllMyFingers
Reaction score
This article by the BBC says it all..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57247757
… It blamed "unprecedented levels of demand" that are set to continue…

… cost of shipping a 40ft container from Asia to Northern Europe soared from $1,500 (£1,061) in summer 2020 to more than $8,300 (£5,873) by May 2021 …

… experiencing price rises of 10-15% across the board, rising to 50% on timber and 30% on cement …

Urghhh

Understandable supply and demand challenges leading to higher prices.
After the spike is over though it'll just be out and out profiteering.

I normally hold about £2000 worth of runners, mag catches and hinges, I currently have about 10x as much on order as you haven't seen anything yet apparantly.

MDF is the next item to run short.

No one seems to have any stock ive seen used bandsaws and other machinary going for more than they cost for new

I tried to buy 2 bags of cement. Normal supplier - No stock, not sure when getting stock. 2nd supplier - national shortage, we are rationing it to account holders only. I gave up at that point and project is on hold.

My good friend Martin the shipwright used to say that a stack of seasoning timber on your own land was a comforting sight, seems he was right all along.

I tried to buy 2 bags of cement. Normal supplier - No stock, not sure when getting stock. 2nd supplier - national shortage, we are rationing it to account holders only. I gave up at that point and project is on hold.

I must have got lucky. Selco wouldn't deliver it but When I was in Wickes buying some other bits they had loads so I bought 30 bags yesterday and another 20 today. I don't need anywhere near the 62 bags I currently have for my extension but what I don't need the Father in law will have off me as he is struggling to get it and being a builder goes through a lot of it.

Many, many moving parts to this. Top of the list is creating trillions of shiny new dollars/pounds/euros etc. The definition of inflation (in some circles, anyway) is an increase in the money supply - whether prices actually go up is another consideration entirely. We have certainly seen an increase in the money supply
pasted-image-0-62.png

Next, we have lots of containers in the wrong part of the world, because Covid19. Also ships stuck in all the wrong places. Just getting a spot on a boat can mean a wait of many weeks, if they will give you a date at all, assuming you have the container to load everything into. The rates are effectively punitive as a disincentive to ship stuff - they have far more customers than they can possibly cater for at the moment.

Another interesting change is that China has stopped taking most western rubbish for recycling, and is due to stop all rubbish imports soon. This means returning containers to China will cost more for the shipping companies, which means shipping rates will rise in any event.

Then of course everyone in the US has been given a lorry load (sorry, a truckload) of free money, and they seem to be spending it on home improvements - see the money supply chart above.

Next we are apparently going to see raw material shortages, and possibly fuel shortages as well. It should be interesting.

Looks as if most of the containers are in the US riding the rails on 'double-stack' trains, if the railroad videos on YT are anything to go by.

My good friend Martin the shipwright used to say that a stack of seasoning timber on your own land was a comforting sight, seems he was right all along.
Quite right. Good old fashioned common sense. None of this "just in time" nonsense.

And, of course, if it was made locally, it wouldn't be affected by container shortages (nor by ships stuck sideways in canals) - and help local employment at the same time.

Cheers, Vann.

Quite right. Good old fashioned common sense. None of this "just in time" nonsense.

And, of course, if it was made locally, it wouldn't be affected by container shortages (nor by ships stuck sideways in canals) - and help local employment at the same time.

Cheers, Vann.
Gov could learn from him re PPE!

Cheers James

The price of CLS at £4.25 (Wickes) but be getting on for the price if home grown softwood?!

Cheers James

Time to start growing trees again. I wish I'd thought of that 100 years ago. Doh. Turns out money does grow on trees

Cheers, Vann.
Exactly, which is why I take satisfaction in knowing that the oak and scots pine I have here hasn't traveled more than 50 miles and that I can point to the woodland that it all came from.

Back