Cottage back door for the M-I-L

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you add a substantial block to the inside of the door and fit a mortise deadlock?
Have you got room on the jamb for the keep?

Can you add a substantial block to the inside of the door and fit a mortise deadlock?
Have you got room on the jamb for the keep?
This is possible. They've told me to fit it with just bolts inside initially. Once it's in I can retrofit something like this. Might actually be the best way as I'm less likely to screw something up due to my inexperience if I can see the whole thing in situ first. I'm sure when you've done this a few years you can just look at the door opening and have the whole thing planned in your head ... that's sure not where I am!

When fitting Tee Hinges, do you put the hinges on the door or the frame first, and are there any rules regarding whre the hinge-pin center of rotation goes (can't think of another way to put that!).
And yes, I'd be surprised if there is another project running as ridiculously slowly as this one!!! Work, work, work... and other excuses. I woudn't even be this far along without you guys.

I'm not sure if this is the recommended way, but I put the door side on first with the frame side folded down against the edge of the door to get the pin position constant. Then use wedges to hold the door central in the frame and fix the frame side part of the hinge.

The old door is off

IMG_8610_Reduced.jpg

and the new one is in
IMG_8611_Reduced.jpg
IMG_8612_Reduced.jpg

IMG_8613_Reduced.jpg

IMG_8614_Reduced.jpg

Thank you so much to everyone for their patience and help. It's taken forever, mainly due to lack of available time, but it's finally in and the MIL is absolutely delighted. It's only got a couple of bolts on there at the moment with they decide on door furniture. They're probably going for a thumb latch to match the hinges, and I'll probably fit a surface mounted mortice look too. In spring I'll repaint the frame, just needed to get the thing in initially as it looked like it was going to tip it down with rain!

Attachments

• IMG_8617_Reduced.jpg
    IMG_8617_Reduced.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8616_Reduced.jpg
    IMG_8616_Reduced.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8615_Reduced.jpg
    IMG_8615_Reduced.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8609_Reduced.jpg
    IMG_8609_Reduced.jpg