Cot for Grandchild - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislarkin

Reaction score
HI Folks

First time posting, so here goes....
I am based in South Africa, a bit far from the UK, however I was born in Kent.
Anyway, we are expecting our first Grandchild and both the wife and myself thought it would be a good idea to build a cot and chest of drawers. As this will be our first piece of indoor furniture, it could turn out like, who knows what....... :lol:

Looking through the internet, there are plenty of pictures of cots in different sizes and shapes, not a lot of good plans though, so we decided to wing it. In the garage, we had some Cedar and Rhodesian Teak available, and after some thought process, we decided on the Teak - the baby would probably have been permanently high on the smell of the Cedar :lol:

I downloaded SketchUp and it took me the good part of last Sunday to learn the program and produce some sort of plan.
During the week we planned most of the wood and started on the back (hopefully it can be used as a headrest at a later stage).

I have attached some photos of where we are at present - any comments are welcome. I am not sure yet what we will use as a finishing agent - any suggestions?
Cheers

Attachments

• cot final.jpg
    cot final.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 1,034
  • CCAP0433.jpg
    CCAP0433.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,034
  • CCAP0490.jpg
    CCAP0490.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 1,034
chrislarkin":2es42nht said:
I downloaded SketchUp and it took me the good part of last Sunday to learn the program and produce some sort of plan.

Less than a day to get to that stage!

:shock:

You're a software genius Chris. I've been playing with SU for years and struggle drawing a breadboard.

Nice project by the way.

Good luck!

[Less than a day to get to that stage!

:shock:

You're a software genius Chris. I've been playing with SU for years and struggle drawing a breadboard.

Nice project by the way. ] - thanks - must admit, having been a land surveyor in my time, it helped with the software (even though we never had software like this when I practised :lol: )

[I like a cot wip
and envy of the teak] - I hope that it might be of use to somebody who is thinking about tackling a cot - if I can do it, then everybody else can :lol:

During the week we have put the back together and glued it up - in hindsight, I should have made the back panels a bit thicker as I have had to reinforce the back as they were flexing. I was hoping to cut down on the weight and had them at 9mm, probably should have stopped at 12mm.

We have started on the rails - we need 24 and have decided on 45mm wide by 12mm thick. This required a lot of cutting, planning, routing and sanding - and I mean a LOT :lol: I also decided that I was not happy with some of the rails - colour / grain so we need another six....

Attachments

• CCAP0556.jpg
    CCAP0556.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 763
  • CCAP0530 copy.jpg
    CCAP0530 copy.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 763
  • CCAP0591.jpg
    CCAP0591.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 763
sorry for the delay folks - away from home - anyway the cot is complete - it has 3 adjustable heights and also can be separated into separate parts so that it can be used when the baby gets older and also the back can be used as a headboard. The attached photo shows it before the finish was applied.

Attachments

• ICAP8793 copy.jpg
    ICAP8793 copy.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 548
Back