Cost for wood to be cut to length

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my workbench from wood from B&Q 4x2's laminated. Sure it's not the best wood but it cost less than 60 quid and it's solid - B&Q also deliver :)
Mine was made in July 2000, the legs are 100mm by 100mm tannalised fence posts held together with rough sawn 4 by 2s and covered with 12mm ply.

A mate and I knocked it up in a couple of hours, a temporary fix just to see if any money could be made.

20 years and two shop moves later, it's still doing the job. I do intend to make a proper bench someday. :)

Final update:
I got back in touch to get a quote drawn up for just the 4.88m lengths the SYP comes in, and the quote is £170 cheaper, plus I'll get 4m of various offcuts that I can use in future projects! Thanks everyone for being so helpful, and I'll make sure to update you all when I finish off the bench.

That's good to hear. It can be daunting buying proper timber in small quantities, when it's not even obvious whether the merchant's stock is in random lengths or standardised ones. Once you have had your delivery, you may well find that you need to spend a surprising amount of time with a tape measure and a piece of chalk, deciding which parts are coming out of which piece. Sometimes there will be flaws included - and not charged for - which with careful planning you can work around. Or a small design change can make much better use of the sizes you get.
It's a stage in a project that never seems to show up in YouTube demonstrations, but it's a really important one!

Get a couple of pairs of cheap plastic saw horses, will make processing that much easier. I've seen pairs for £20 a set, they'll always be useful...

Get a couple of pairs of cheap plastic saw horses, will make processing that much easier. I've seen pairs for £20 a set, they'll always be useful...
Or make your own! They're a great early project (says me who hasn't made any).

And when you do make them put nice wide tops on them 8” then you can use them as step ups. I would suggest about 17 inches high then you can rest your knee on what you’re cutting. Ian

This is all true, I was just picturing some poor guy having to work on 5m 4x2s on the floor! Building some is even better, forsure.

Back