Cosman DVDs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, so Tony's post on his dovetailing has got me interested in the Cosman 'videos'. Does anyone know of a source for UK playable DVDs of these? Axminster have them as videos, but we're now a 'DVD only' household, and I suspect that if I order as DVDs from, say, L-N, they'll be in the US format, rather than ours...

Rob Cosman's DVD's are not region encoded, I don't think any of the DVD's from Lie Nielsen are but I would have to find the email reply from them to be sure about the last bit. I ordered a couple of the Cosman ones from them a while back and they work fine on my DVD player.

Graeme

Thx for the tips guys - froglet, I'll 'wait out' for confirmation...

Froglet,

You'd be right - these kinds of woodworking DVDs are not region-encoded, but Shady was thinkng about US tv signal formats. Where we use PAL, the US employs NTSC. But as Pete noted, most DVD players and TVs can cope with that now.

I bought Mark Duginske's US-produced bandsaw DVD last year and it worked fine on my DVD player (PlayStation2 :wink:) and Sony TV.

I wish there was a UK source for the Cosman DVDs, though. I have the first dovetail one on video, and would love to get the others on DVD.

I'm being a bit pedantic here but its not actually about NTSC/PAL video signal formats as such, the data on the DVD is stored in MPEG format the difference between US/European DVDs is the frame rate 60/50Hz and the number of lines per frame. As long as your DVD player is happy to read this MPEG stream, and I'd be surprised if you could find one that wasn't, it will produce a 60Hz PAL format output. Most reasonably modern televisions shouldn't have a problem displaying the signal produced.

Shady if you want I can lend you one of mine long enough for you to try it on your kit.

Graeme

The DVD player on my 'puter claimed the first two Charlesworth/L-N DVDs were region encoded (it made me change regions anyway) fwiw. Didn't try the third 'cos we got a cheapo player from Asda in the meantime and changed it to multi region (bargain at £35 BTW).

Cheers, Alf

Yah - froglet, agree your point re NTSC/PAL, but it was more the region encoding I was thinking of - should have made myself clearer... I think I have achieved a solution (with some one to one help), but if not, I'll take you up on that offer, for which many thanks...

I'm quite capable of flashing machine BIOS's to remove the region locking, but I'd rather not start that game, with all its attendant issues... :roll:

Shady":3a8civ23 said:
I'm quite capable of flashing machine BIOS's to remove the region locking
Most DVD players can be unlocked with a simple 'remote hack' using the supplied remote. Google your machine and see what comes up. You'll most likely find a code that has been leaked by the manufactures...

froglet":2i7lh0dd said:
Who Cosman or Charlesworth?

Graeme

I was referring to Cosman. I like DCs hand planing video more than Cosman's version and learnt more, but DCs sharpening DVD is a little dissapopinting to me and I don't think I'll be buying his shooting board one

Generally, I learn more useful, actual woodworking skills from Cosmans videos (such as houndstooth DTs :lol: )

Back