Corrosion Inhibiting Coatings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I've been restoring this machine for what feels like the better part of a century :roll: I've polished a lot of the steel parts and they've begun to rust up a little. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for some form of coating that prevents the rust from occurring?

I usually wipe down with a rag soaked in machine oil. For something a bit longer lasting I usually use a carnuba based car wax and buff out.

Dave

I would try wiping down with a synthetic molybdenum based car oil. Molybdenum bonds with steel and is very slippery. Just a thought.
Regards, Paul

Metalguard Ultra, then oil or wax on top.

Ambersil carry at least one anti corrosion spray that deposits a creamy wax loaded with anti corrosives. It dries to a tacky consistency so suits nuts and bolts and parts that aren't going to be handled.

I've made some machinery feet out of black rolled steel angle recently and for those I (power) wire brushed the rust and loose scale off, blow torched them up to a little too hot to handle then wiped on boiled linseed oil. It looks rather good, is cheap and easy to renew if necessary.

Back