Corrodip --------- OK WHO WAS IT ????????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Phoned up to order my supply :mrgreen:

Spoke to a nice gent

Who said " We have run out " a big demand recently

followed by " I think its on a website "

yes said I , UKWorkshop

best bit is the next statement " Its in Dagenham at the moment , we will have some more Thursday

And No I cant collect for Dagenham :roll:

Blister":1rlaebj5 said:
Phoned up to order my supply :mrgreen:

Spoke to a nice gent

Who said " We have run out " a big demand recently

followed by " I think its on a website "

Should have done a group buy, and got a discount.

BugBear

Ooops! Mea Culpa!

Well Allen...at least Dagenham is closer than Singapore!

I am getting a bit rusty...should have sorted a commission! :mrgreen:

Ok then...if they sold out..who the hell bought some?

Jim

I'm afraid it was me.

I brought 50 gallons of the stuff to see if it would bring the wife back to her former glory.

She has been soaking for a week now, do you think that is long enough ?

Grahamshed":mxooer8v said:
I'm afraid it was me.

I brought 50 gallons of the stuff to see if it would bring the wife back to her former glory.

You'll need to give her a rub down with a brass brush!

Grahamshed":2q3bo47a said:
I'm afraid it was me.

Your surname's not THATCHER is it? 8)

Jim

jimi43":24ysk0qs said:
Grahamshed":24ysk0qs said:
I'm afraid it was me.

Your surname's not THATCHER is it? 8)

Jim

If it is, leave her in and put the lid on.

Must get hold of some of this and try a head-to-head with Restore (which thankfully only has to come from sunny Grimsby).

As far as I can see the results obtained are similar to Jim's (see photos) but Restore is more concentrated so it's cheaper to post (500ml Restore @ £25 makes 10 litres = £2.50/ litre vs 1000ml CorroDip @ £23.28 makes 6 litres = £3.88/litre). Both are non-toxic, non-caustic and re-usable, both yield best results used warm and circulated, I'm not sure if Corrodip is biodegradable and pH neutral though.

Record%20043%20before%20derusting%20close%20up.JPG

Record%20043%20after2.JPG

If you are interested in doing a postal swap Jim, perhaps we could both run a test and then compare results?

Good idea Matthew.

I am working early tomorrow but should be home later in the afternoon so I will find something to put some in and get it off to you.

I might find it a bit difficult to find something to de-rust though...most of the stuff I have has gone through the Corro-Dip and come out the other side!

I am doing a bootfair hopefully on Saturday...so it wouldn't be difficult to find a few rusty samples. If I can get two from the same shed...same depth of rust that would be a suitable side by side test.

Will be in touch

Cheers

Jimi

Excellent!

I'll have a hunt around for rusty objects too.

I can see this ending up like a Nanette Newman fairy liquid test!

Hi Toby,

Evaporust is great if you can get it at a shop, but it's already at working strength rather than concentrated, so if you wanted to order enough for a 10 litre bath you'd have delivery for a 10 kilogram parcel rather than a half kilogram one.

Thanks matthewwh,
I'm not familiar with Corrodip, I don't think it's available here in the US. Now I know the difference, and I wouldn't pay extra for the watered down version either.

Toby

TobyC":24wh3hdn said:
Thanks matthewwh,
I'm not familiar with Corrodip, I don't think it's available here in the US. Now I know the difference, and I wouldn't pay extra for the watered down version either.

Toby

From reading their literature...Evaporust is also a chelating rust remover (like corro dip). They have an alternative chelating agent and also an organosulphur compound that regenerates the chelating agent theoretically making it last a little longer. I would imagine that it would yield similar results.

To be fair, I wouldn't imagine that there would be a significant difference between any of these chelating rust removers. If you have a rusty tool (!) it's not really going to make a difference to you whether it takes 1 hour or 12 hours to remove the rust, the end result will be the same. Anyway, as a scientist, I am willing to be proved wrong...it happens often enough!

Jim, whilst we are back on the subject of Corrodip: did you get a response to the question about how best to use it for de-rusting things like lathe beds?

I'm wondering if I'd be better off using a gel like wot Axy sell, as I can scrape that off after use and therefore avoid the mess created by washing off the Corrodip after use, unless they've got some clever trick that we don't know about?

Alternatively, as it's a flat cast iron bed, maybe I'd do just as well to attack it with the belt sander and use a drill-held rotary brush on the other bits and pieces, and then slosh the lot with a rust inhibitor?

All that of course, in addition with dealing with the damp problems in the shed/workshop!

Tony Spear":1kkhdxup said:
Jim, whilst we are back on the subject of Corrodip: did you get a response to the question about how best to use it for de-rusting things like lathe beds?

I'm wondering if I'd be better off using a gel like wot Axy sell, as I can scrape that off after use and therefore avoid the mess created by washing off the Corrodip after use, unless they've got some clever trick that we don't know about?

Alternatively, as it's a flat cast iron bed, maybe I'd do just as well to attack it with the belt sander and use a drill-held rotary brush on the other bits and pieces, and then slosh the lot with a rust inhibitor?

All that of course, in addition with dealing with the damp problems in the shed/workshop!

Strangely not Tony....

You'd think the'd answer my email given the business this has created from them....will try again!

Hope to arrange a sample if they have such a product...will keep you updated

Cheers

Jim

Back