Corrodip --------- OK WHO WAS IT ????????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been following this thread with interest, and decided to to some more research as a result of which I'm now at least confused at a higher level.
Not clear whether the chelating rust removers also include acid, like citric/phosphoric, or whether they are a totally different class.
However, did come across one interesting suggestion, which is to use molasses (black treacle?) 1:9 as a chelating agent. Some of the 'murrican sites
seem to think this is a great idea. Anyone tried it? Sounds more benign and certainly cheaper than the proprietory stuff.

My home brew version certainly contains acetic acid. I would guess that others do also, although the acids my be fully or partially neutralised. I know at least one is pH7 (neutral). Mine is pH 4 and if I leave parts in for an extended period some bubbles of hydrogen gas will form indicating some (very slow) reaction with the steel. When I have time I will investigate adjusting the recipe to different pHs to see what effect it has on rust removal...need to buy some more rusty tools first!

Famous at last!! :mrgreen:

I missed a trick here didn't I!? Should have become an agent for Corro-Dip and MAAS before I set out using them! (homer)

Cheers

Jim

Back