Correcting an out of line 10" saw blade ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a table saw with a 10" blade but it cuts slightly out of line , what would be the best way to get it lined up to cut straight ?

Dr. Thrax,

You need to check what is out of line, the blade and therefore the shaft its mounted on or the fence.
To do this the ideal tool is a dail indicator which you mount on a sliding bar in the mitre slot, that being taken as the straight line reference for the table. If the shaft is out of line then look for mounting bolts that can be slackened to allow the shaft to be re-alined with the table. If its a 'good' brand of saw the manufacturer may well have instructions on how to do this in the owners hand book. :D

No such thing in the booklet that came with my cheap B&Q saw :cry:

Hey Doc..
watched a saw doc doin this very thing for Norm last week.. it's dead easy...

ser your mitre gauge to square and use that to measure the offset from the nearest visable tooth of the blade to the edge of the mitre slot. Now rotate that same tooth to become the farthest visable tooth, and measure again. Using the same tooth automatically compensates for any varience in the blade itself. To correct any difference in the measurements, loosen the bolts that secure the top to the frame, and skew the top to suit. Re-check and repeat as necessary.

Thanks Dave but it's not a good brand, it has everything possible in the instruction booklet other than how to put it together or correct any problems :roll: :lol: The fence is fine but you can visually see the blade is out of line let alone trying to cut along a straight line :cry:

Thanks Mike, I'll give that a try especially as I've just invested in a 'nice' user friendly Freud blade ;)

If it's that bad and new I would send it back for a replacement/upgrade or even contact them for info on how to fix it.

A good suggestion Charley but unfortunately it was given to me by a friend and the customer helpline for this brand is, to put it politely, useless. I explained to the very nice lady I spoke to what the problem was, and after being put on hold for a few minutes, her suggestion was to hit the blade with a hammer to correct the problem, I was almost tempted to ask if the machine should be switched on when I try this but decided not to :wink: Of course I didn't hit it but hopefully the great advice I've had in here will correct the problem :)

lol what great advice. I'll remember that just incase I ever need to adjust my saw :lol: Do you mind telling us the brand of your tablesaw? So other members can stay clear?

If you have problems moving the table or the motor you could try setting the fence out of sqaure to match the balde.

If I can add to Midnights posting is to mark the tooth with a felt pen so you dont pick the wrong tooth.

There are screws on the table to adjust the blade/motor combi if they stay parallel when tightening is an another thing if I remember I had to shim mine then it was not smack on gave up at the end no wonder my mate gave me the m/c.

I can send you a photo copy of how to do this from my instruction manual if you like
PM me

One problem you havc here is that it is your friend who has the legal relationship with the supplier, not you. If the tool is still under warranty, get him to kick up a fuss on your behalf.
If you want to fix it yourself, you can try to elangate the holes which attach the trunnions to the u/s of the table. I depends how much you have got to adjust it.
Incidentally, exactly the same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. I bought a TS from Axminster and it was out. Not by a few thou, by a few mm. They swapped it without question, and the new one had been checked over, all the stops set up properly, before they had sent it out. 10/10.
I made my own fence (the original was rubbish) from an article in FWW, and I still use the same saw today. It even has a nice long spindle shaft.......... :D . I would buy a nice new Jet, with a sliding carriage and braking system, but I wouldn't be able to do my Norm impressions.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve,
The saw is about twelve year old he gave it to me as the motor spun but the blade did not.
Fashioned a new woodruff key and hey presto.
oh! it also has a nice long spindle shaft.......... :lol: for a dado cutter and a spindle moulder according to the manual but I`ll keep on using bandsaw and router instead

Charley":3ixdchuf said:
lol what great advice. I'll remember that just incase I ever need to adjust my saw :lol: Do you mind telling us the brand of your tablesaw? So other members can stay clear?

If you have problems moving the table or the motor you could try setting the fence out of sqaure to match the balde.

Well I've never heard of it myself but the makers lable stuck to the underside of the machine says Tekhakie but the phone number in the Instruction manual was a London number, not freephone I might add :shock: and if ever anyone ever comes across this brand don't bother with Customer Services :D It resembles a Clarke 10" table saw but isn't a Clarke 10" table saw, a cheap copy perhaps. My friend bought it at a tool stall in a market in the midlands but had no luck getting it to cut straight and gave it to me, he didn't tell this however until today :roll: :? :)

Thanks for all the advice, I will try it out as soon as I can and let you know if I get it sorted :)

Popping corks and blowing trumpets, thanks to all your advice I can now cut along a straight line, after all this celebrating doubt I'll be able to walk along one but you can't have everything :D

Cheers all!

Back