correct bore for Startrite 275 tablesaw blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

Back in the workshop after a very cold hiatus! These fair weather wood workers huh! :roll:

Does anyone know the correct bore size for the Startrite 275 tablesaw please? I had presumed 5/8 and Wealdons offer this, but they offer a reaming service to 16mm which is close but apparently not the same thing at all!

Anyone got one and can confirm?
Many thanks

Apologies for the hijack, but how vital is it that the blade sits snugly on the arbor? 5/8" is 15.875mm - does 0.125mm make that much difference?

Mark

Cheers chaps.
Wealdons say it is not the same thing, but if it is 5/8ths thats what I'll order.
There are a mix of imperial and metric bolts / nuts on the saw so thought I should check.
Many thanks

Hi Bought some "reducing" rings from 30mm to 5/8ths off fleabay just so i can try some cheap blades off toolstation, but will by a couple of decent blades with the right bore later. They seem to work well.

mickthetree":p0bhiqi1 said:
Cheers chaps.
Wealdons say it is not the same thing, but if it is 5/8ths thats what I'll order.
There are a mix of imperial and metric bolts / nuts on the saw so thought I should check.
Many thanks

Remember that a shaft and a bore manufactured to 'exactly' the same size won't fit.

Shafts for a given size should be manufactured with a zone tolerance of 'size' and a few hundredths/tenths undersize.
Bores intended to fit said shafts should be manufactured with a zone tolerance of 'size' and a few hundredths/tenths over the size.

The assumption being that any combination of the various shafts and bores will produce an acceptable fit with the chance of the two tolerance ranges producing an interference or sloppy fit being extremely small.

If by any chance the bench saw is not fitted with a blade location/driving pin and a blade has slipped in the past the shaft could be worn undersize (blade inevitably being harder than the shaft.)

Fitting something with an already oversize bore could compound these zone and wear tolerances beyond acceptable balance levels.

The possibility of a 5 thou + clearance ( I think that's what 5/8=-16mm equates to) is not an insignificant run-out at the periphery, so you are best to stick with as near correct fit as possible.

The bore issue become critical if you were trying to put a 5/8" blade on a 16mm arbour. It would never fit and so would need to be reamed/bored (never! drilled) to fit.

Back