Coronet no 3 HELP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to advise. I have the bolt under the head stock as tight as possible but it is still not keeping alignment. Has anyone come across this and is there a simple solution to my issue?

Is there a nut on the inside if so you may need to undo the one under the head to release it and give it a turn clockwise in the housing
I'll have a tinker later, I'll take if off entirely and see what I find out. Thanks for the advice

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to advise. I have the bolt under the head stock as tight as possible but it is still not keeping alignment. Has anyone come across this and is there a simple solution to my issue?
View attachment 135867
Please give me a call re your lathe problem . I am known as Mr Coronet on the internet . Number is 07711608583 Derek

What's that rattling noise in the video? I hope that it's not your bearings! (The good news is they can be replaced). Is there any vibration?

My Coronet CL3, circa 1988, is the same as yours, except for the colour.

The whole head-stock assembly, motor and all, is clamped onto the two base bars by one bolt through a banjo assembly - the one that's used for aligning the headstock underneath that should have a lever bar attached. The clamp also allows the head-stock to swivel.

Hopefully the threads and nut are in good order. The nut inside is held down within a recess on the casting. It's a good idea to check the state of the nut, the bolt threads and that the casting is intact at this point.

(That base index line on the front is advisory...... the true head-to-tail axis can very simply be got by aligning the points of both the drives, then locking the head-stock bar and position the tail-stock before you start work).

Eliminate the simplest thing first. Assuming that everything is intact and as it should be, the one basic thing worth checking is the state of the metal faces that the head stock swivels on. You will need to disassemble the whole thing. head stock, motor and all to check it. It's VERY HEAVY! You do this by by taking off the bolt.

Basically, what you are looking for is the couple of drops of oil that you put into the front bearing eventually travels through the bearing and has to go somewhere. It may, in time, migrate through to the base plate bolt hole and lubricate the swivel point that you're trying to lock off. It has been known to happen over years of use. It shouldn't happen, but too much oil sometimes goes in and cleaning inside the head stock can be forgotten!

Essentially, the contact faces where the head stock swivels on the base plate should be clean dry metal and have a reasonable degree of friction. A wipe with some emery may help.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Please give me a call re your lathe problem . I am known as Mr Coronet on the internet . Number is 07711608583 Derek
Hi Derek, thanks.

I think I have sorted it, seems to be locking down OK now. Hope you don't mind if I call on you in the future should I need more advice.

Nick

What's that rattling noise in the video? I hope that it's not your bearings! (The good news is they can be replaced). Is there any vibration?

My Coronet CL3, circa 1988, is the same as yours, except for the colour.

The whole head-stock assembly, motor and all, is clamped onto the two base bars by one bolt through a banjo assembly - the one that's used for aligning the headstock underneath that should have a lever bar attached. The clamp also allows the head-stock to swivel.

Hopefully the threads and nut are in good order. The nut inside is held down within a recess on the casting. It's a good idea to check the state of the nut, the bolt threads and that the casting is intact at this point.

(That base index line on the front is advisory...... the true head-to-tail axis can very simply be got by aligning the points of both the drives, then locking the head-stock bar and position the tail-stock before you start work).

Eliminate the simplest thing first. Assuming that everything is intact and as it should be, the one basic thing worth checking is the state of the metal faces that the head stock swivels on. You will need to disassemble the whole thing. head stock, motor and all to check it. It's VERY HEAVY! You do this by by taking off the bolt.

Basically, what you are looking for is the couple of drops of oil that you put into the front bearing eventually travels through the bearing and has to go somewhere. It may, in time, migrate through to the base plate bolt hole and lubricate the swivel point that you're trying to lock off. It has been known to happen over years of use. It shouldn't happen, but too much oil sometimes goes in and cleaning inside the head stock can be forgotten!

Essentially, the contact faces where the head stock swivels on the base plate should be clean dry metal and have a reasonable degree of friction. A wipe with some emery may help.

Good luck.
I disassembled and gave the contact surfaces a clean, as you advised they were rather dirty and some oil had clearly made its way through.

Gave it all a good clean and inside the head stock and it seems to be locking down now. Thanks for the advice. Thanks to all who offered advice. I do appreciate it and all the info people on the forum offer.

Regards

Nick

Back