Coronet No 1 back up and running

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blademansw

Reaction score
I finally pulled my finger out and have got the Coronet No 1 I inherited from my late grandfather back up and running.

It had been left in a somewhat damp garage, so it was rather rusty :eek:

All rust removed, and steel parts treated with ACF50 :D

The only thing wrong with it is the start switch could do with replacing as its a bit sticky, but it seems to run nice and true according to my DTI and the bearings still seem to be good and quiet with no rumble.

I really do have to decide on a decent woodturning chuck, I have looked at the Robert Sorby Patriot, but it may be a bit out of my price range with all the jaws.

I have nothing to compare it to but I've had no problems with the k10. Good price and lots of jaws available. Also the jaws from the smaller k8 fit it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Arhghhh, now I have to make a decision between the Dakota chuck (very keenly priced) and the Axminster (which seems to have more accessories). Decisions, decisions, decisions!

I would reccomend the K10 from axminster, i use my all the time and they have all the jaws you could ever need which are also very nicely priced.
ive never had a problem with my as of yet. also the axminster guys are so helpful with things like this.
just my opinion of course :)

Paul

Paul, I can only agree with your comment about Axminster being very helpful, I have bought a fair few bits from them in the past, and found them to be very helpful on the phone!

With regards to the Axminster chuck, what are the recommended jaws to get?

I have never used a proper woodturners chuck, only an engineering chuck :lol:

It all depends what you want to make the O'Donnell are an excellent and very useful set to have but for say an average sized bowl type A or B will do fine

Hi

I can't comment on the K10 but have owned a Dakota chuck for about 4 years and have never had any trouble. The jaws are compatable with Record Power 4000 and several other makes so there is no shortage of choice.

One disadvantage I found with the original Super Nova chuck, (which utilises a similar type of key to the K10), is that with Cole jaws fitted the chuck key 'Tee' handle fouls the back of the jaws making operation a bit tedious, I don't know if this would be the case with the K10 - perhaps an owner could advise.

Cole Jaw Interference.jpg

When I reported this to Robert Sorby they thanked me for my observation and kindly supplied an extended key free of charge :D .

Extended Key.jpg

With the Dakota chuck the key drive is hexagonal allowing substitution of the supplied key with an extended one assembled from a socket set for use when Cole jaws are installed.

At the end of the day choice will depend on the range of uses to which you intend to put the chuck.

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Cole Jaw Interference.jpg
    Cole Jaw Interference.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,028
  • Extended Key.jpg
    Extended Key.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2,029
When I use the large button jaws I use a socket extension bar to adjust the jaws I ground the end of it to the same size as the chuck key till it fitted the chuck but I'm not sure how you would solve this with the K10

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 2,015
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 2,009
Well, I haven't done any turning for nearly 20 years, and it was actually on this lathe when my grandfather was alive. Hence only using an engineering 4 jaw chuck as that is what is still on the lathe.

I have a couple of rusty old faceplate's, but the live centre got lost so I also need to get a 1MT one of those.

I have most of the tools, but a couple were homemade ones, so I need to get a couple of turning tools as well.

I am planning on doing some bowl turning, and perhaps some other trinkets, but I really want to have a go at pen making as well!

Well, I ended up going for the Axminster K10 chuck, with type C dovetail jaws, and C type drive centre and a faceplate ring.

All delivered to work today, I am itching to get home and mount it all up!

Hahaha, its probably going to be like when I bought a mig welder, there was nothing metal left unwelded in the shed lol

Well, I got the chuck assembled, installed on the lathe, and here is my first ever bowl.

Finished with Liberon carnuba wax :D

Sorry for the rubbish mobile phone photos!
IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 350
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 361
Well you should be proud of yourself with that one well done one tip dont let it live in direct sunlight or the finish will just disappear keep em coming

Back