Coronet Minor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have attempted to ressurect a Cornet Minor. It has not been used for many years and I have a few concerns that I hope someone might be able to help me with.

Initially it ran but I found the speed alarming when I slowed it down by changing the pulley position it tripped out the NVR switch and the motor was warm after only a few minutes.

On the side of the NVR is an adjustable gauge but I do not know what its function is.

Any words of advice would be most welcome..

Thanks Mike

That sounds like the thermal trip relay setting. This should be set to the full load motor current. refer to the motor rating plate.
This is a protection device and should not be set arbitrarily to maximum without understanding what you are doing. Motor replacement will be expensive.

put it on the high speed - low torque on the motor make sure front lathe bearing is lubricated, the rear one is sealed and let it run for a while to dry the motor out and clear any corrosion in the bearing. You could also lub the motor spindle, there should be a cup or grease nipple on the end.

nagden":z6sa3yaw said:
Initially it ran but I found the speed alarming when I slowed it down by changing the pulley position it tripped out the NVR switch and the motor was warm after only a few minutes...

Changing to lower spindle speed should reduce the load on the motor in normal circumstances.

Sounds very much like the front bearing is seizing up due to heating from lack of lubrication and overloading the motor.

If this is the case then you need to address the problem urgently and not run it again until adequate lubrication is in place else the bearing will scald and seize up completely.

Hi

Many thanks for your replies. I will follow your advice and hope it works. It would be a terrible shame if I could not resolve the problem as it is a beautifully engineered piece of machinery and a lot quieter than the horrible little planer thicknesses that I have.

Mike

Back