Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Coronet Major Headstock Bearing Adjustment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Good folks
I have acquired a "Major" S/No 119MAY72 from its home in someone's workshop before he moved to a smaller home, he said its not been used for many a year. Came with the full saw table attachment, faceplates three tool rests / brackets and all in its very good condition for a little used 46 year old.

I oiled the headstock bearing before running and its fine, however if you 'rock' the faceplate vertically there is a slight nudge of movement, Im certain not noticeable in use but would someone please advice the right way to take a up a gnats amount of movement. Looks as if it could simply be to clockwise (?) knock the front retainer?
All advice welcome and thank you

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
On the front and rear face of the headstock there is a retaining collar with a notch out of it if I remember right. You need to slacken one and tighten the other to pull the phosphor bronze bearing into place. Be aware there is nothing stopping you from overtightening it so be aware for resistance to rotation or excess heat when running.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks LancsRick
Yes you are right it does have those collars, but I might have found the answer by accident. I thought I would leave the lathe running for a while and add more drops of oil to give the bearings a nice wash. Did that for 10 mins or so and no play at all! So perhaps the answer is only consider adjusting headstock bearings when the bearing has warmed up. Anyway no need to do anything now so thanks again. I know what to do for the future if needed.
However the lathe takes up a bit too much space for me so I guess it will appear on of the free friad gtree newspapers shortly. Shame because its a cracking bit of kit but available space rules

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
PM me your email address if you want a copy of the manual & other literature.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robbo
Have just sent a PM (or think I have) let me know here if it doesn't turn up, or send me a PM - presumably one gets a notification that one has been received? regards

boomerang bender

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Robbo,
I have just acquired a Coronet Major which i think needs the head stock bearing adjustment also i do not have the manual or any info on the lathe and its attachments could you please send me a copy of the manual or any info.
Kind regards.
Boomerang Bender

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
boomerang bender":27fwj9em said:
Hi Robbo,
I have just acquired a Coronet Major which i think needs the head stock bearing adjustment also i do not have the manual or any info on the lathe and its attachments could you please send me a copy of the manual or any info.
Kind regards.
Boomerang Bender
Just need your email address. Either PM or email me your email address.
You might need to make a couple more posts before being allowed to do so.

Ridethewave

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the coronet minor and there is also a little play. I thought that it mat have been the cause of vibration but am now pretty sure that its down to user error.....dull tool wrongly presented.
thanks for the above information on adjusting the headstock baring. the chuck doesn't vibrate when nothings in it. also early days on cutting my tenon perfectly.

John

Ridethewave

Established Member
Reaction score
After a bit more time I have realised that the bearing did need adjustment. I did that today..took5 mins..

Whiteknight

Reaction score
Hi All,
I too have a Coronet Major like okeydokeys' but think mine is from the 60's, based on the paperwork I have. Had it for quite awhile & used the saw table a lot over the years but only recently started turning. Just noticed a "knocking" noise after a time when turning, wondered what it was and tracked it down the the headstock. Have always put oil down the cap on the head stock before I start and then probably every 1.5 hrs. Have noticed that it seems to run through and out of headstock and onto the main arm of the lathe (seems to have got worse as I've not noticed it before). There seems to be a little play when rocking face plate up and down. Will running the lathe until warm and then adding oil wash out any rubbish in the phospor bronze bearing prior to adjusting the bearing as discussed above or do I need to take it apart?

nwc50

Reaction score
Hello, running on from this post, I have just got my Dad’s lathe up and running. The bearing seems solid with no play in it however does it need a periodic service and what oil is recommended to run through it? Pictures attached for semblance of clarity. Is there a manual available?

Attachments

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, running on from this post, I have just got my Dad’s lathe up and running. The bearing seems solid with no play in it however does it need a periodic service and what oil is recommended to run through it? Pictures attached for semblance of clarity. Is there a manual available?
The manual states - a medium grade oil SAE 30 or equivalent.

nwc50

Reaction score
Hi Robbo - do you have an electric copy of the manual you could email to me? All the best, Pat.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Robbo - do you have an electric copy of the manual you could email to me? All the best, Pat.
Nope, but I do have a scanned copy in PDF format if you want to give me your email address. :)

Latest posts