Coronet Herald error codes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whisky16

Reaction score
Coronet Herald

Good morning

Error code 4 - several times lathe stops after a minor 'dig in', error code 4 displays - mains power off - error code still there - resets itself after a couple of minutes - this may not seem long but it seems a long time waiting when in middle of turning.

Also Error code 2 frequently comes up when I turn power off

Is there a fault with motor as this is most frustrating - this never happened with my CL4.

whisky16

Hi,
I have just brought Record Power Coronet Herald.

I have the same problem with Error Code 02. It shows up as stop is pressed and just before it does stop it starts bleeping and code comes up on display, Error 02.

I have spoken to Record Power and they tell me this is normal. It is when the motor is turned off and it is an overload protection for the motor. It is because the motor wants to stop and the weight of the chuck plus timber is causing the motor to over run. They told me as long as the error code resets when stopped its fine and normal. It is not a fault....

Only worry if comes on when running. That's a different thing.

Roger Thorley

Record Power made some strange choices when they programmed the inverters on this lathe. A dig-in causes a spike in current or a dip in speed, either of which can generate an error code. Depending on the actual error code, they can either be hidden from the user or adjusted for a bit less sensitivity - but RP don't want to do that themselves or let the user do it. If you can see what make and model the inverter is, you could download the manual and have a, password permitting, (careful!) play with the parameters - remember, those settings are protecting the motor from damage and changing them would invalidate your warranty.
The speed ramp times are also quite long for some reason. This is a nice lathe that just needs a little fine tuning by RP.
Duncan

Hi,
Thanks for update.
Only had it couple days and seems cracking to use. Been using 22 year old APTC came from Axminster Tools. So heavy big cast job, rests clamps all worn etc.
This is great. I can live with error. Not going to mess around with it and lose 5 years warranty.

Roger

Hi,
Thanks for update.
Only had it couple days and seems cracking to use. Been using 22 year old APTC came from Axminster Tools. So heavy big cast job, rests clamps all worn etc.
This is great. I can live with error. Not going to mess around with it and lose 5 years warranty.

Roger
I have a Coronet Herald and it does cut out when I get a catch or a dig in.
Then I have to wait several minutes for it to reset itself which is very frustrating.

Never had this happen before with my CL4 - And I particularly dislike the fact that the Herald cuts out as it does - This makes it very difficult when roughing out or trying to rough out stock that is slightly out of balance

May have been nicer to say "... maybe you should take lighter cuts...";)
And avoid the incoming flak😂
Hi,
I have just brought Record Power Coronet Herald.

I have the same problem with Error Code 02. It shows up as stop is pressed and just before it does stop it starts bleeping and code comes up on display, Error 02.

I have spoken to Record Power and they tell me this is normal. It is when the motor is turned off and it is an overload protection for the motor. It is because the motor wants to stop and the weight of the chuck plus timber is causing the motor to over run. They told me as long as the error code resets when stopped its fine and normal. It is not a fault....

Only worry if comes on when running. That's a different thing.

Roger Thorley
Hi, I've had the coronet for a little over three years now, initially I was getting so many E2 codes and then the speed controller started fluctuating the sppeeds dramatically by itself. No hastle from RP and a new complete unit received, was ok for two and a half years but still suffered E2 codes then speed control got a mind of it's own again. Have last month fitted another complete unit, my worry is I'll be running out of warranty if this continues to happen. Re the E2 codes I was told exactly the same as Roger shortly after I bought the lathe, basically it is built in programming fault and should be of no real cosequence apart from annoyance. I will be phoning them again tomorrow, Friday 7/1/2022, you obviously don't know WHEN you may get an error till it slows down in its own time. Having been turning a 280mm x 30mm plate anything over 590 rpm I get an E2, as a trial I upped the speed to 900 rpm hit the emergency stop button it did not have the effect that an emergency stop should and slowed down in it's own sweet time! After several trials I realise it had allready determined that your going to get an error when your turning and activates when you hit the stop button or turn the speed down, My concern is in this situation if ever needing an emrgency stop you haven't got one! It it is overidden by the pcb. Not a happy bunny, a real shame, ironically I really did love this lathe.
'

Hi, I've had the coronet for a little over three years now, initially I was getting so many E2 codes and then the speed controller started fluctuating the sppeeds dramatically by itself. No hastle from RP and a new complete unit received, was ok for two and a half years but still suffered E2 codes then speed control got a mind of it's own again. Have last month fitted another complete unit, my worry is I'll be running out of warranty if this continues to happen. Re the E2 codes I was told exactly the same as Roger shortly after I bought the lathe, basically it is built in programming fault and should be of no real cosequence apart from annoyance. I will be phoning them again tomorrow, Friday 7/1/2022, you obviously don't know WHEN you may get an error till it slows down in its own time. Having been turning a 280mm x 30mm plate anything over 590 rpm I get an E2, as a trial I upped the speed to 900 rpm hit the emergency stop button it did not have the effect that an emergency stop should and slowed down in it's own sweet time! After several trials I realise it had allready determined that your going to get an error when your turning and activates when you hit the stop button or turn the speed down, My concern is in this situation if ever needing an emrgency stop you haven't got one! It it is overidden by the pcb. Not a happy bunny, a real shame, ironically I really did love this lathe.
'
It's normally just a cause over over-run, never had a problem myself with it, unless I've got a lump on, or running too fast with a small lump.

It flashes, as it should, as lathe is turning beyond its expected speed.

Back