Coronet Consort chuck recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am complete beginner trying to do a little bit of turning such as handles for tools I restore, burnishing clickers etc. Few years back I was given my friend granddads' Coronet Consort machine which has a wood turning lathe as part of it. Unfortunately there is no chuck with it. Please can you recommend me one suitable for this machine? I have looked at Records such as SC3 and SC4 as I would be able to get different jaws but still unsure if the SC4 is not too big for the machine. If there are other options even better. Thank you.

Hi. I am complete beginner trying to do a little bit of turning such as handles for tools I restore, burnishing clickers etc. Few years back I was given my friend granddads' Coronet Consort machine which has a wood turning lathe as part of it. Unfortunately there is no chuck with it. Please can you recommend me one suitable for this machine? I have looked at Records such as SC3 and SC4 as I would be able to get different jaws but still unsure if the SC4 is not too big for the machine. If there are other options even better. Thank you.
Hi - I am an ardent Coronet user and restorer in Sunbury. I am currently using a Coronet Major MkII I have restored with all the trimmings/add-ons. For the purposes of this post I am assuming that your Consort has a headstock spindle with a 7/8ths x 16TPI thread on it.
I too had the quandary of fitting a suitable chuck to my Major; after taking advice from a few other users I settled on the Axminster Club SK100, but if you can afford the heavier version (SK114) go for that. You will need an adaptor to go from Female 7/8th" x 16TPI down to Male 3/4" 16TPI. I manged to obtain a nice brass job from a guy on EBay, and it all works fine as long you make sure everything is really well tightened on the headstock spindle - if you don't and there is any movement, you will end up with off-centre bowls; interesting but annoying (esp. if you're making boxes). You can see the set up in the attached pic (I hope). Ignore the steel washers you can see between the fitt
DSCN2241.JPG
ings- that's another story!
I chose the Axminster mainly because it's actually made at their factory in Devon, and beautifully made at that. Most other makes (I fear) tend to be imported from China (despite claims to the contrary sometimes) and are frankly not as accurate in manufacture. The range of Axminster jaws available is substantial (Jaws for Axminster 100mm Chucks - Chuck Jaws - Woodturning Chucks - Lathe Accessories - Machinery Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools), although a tad pricey in some cases. Worth it though if you can afford it.
Hope this helps.

Would it not be better to get a chuck with a larger thread and get an insert made this would keep the chuck closer to the headstock

I will need to measure the thread. I will need to keep the thread close to the head stock as I ma using the short base bar for it and there is already not much between centres.

I will need to measure the thread. I will need to keep the thread close to the head stock as I ma using the short base bar for it and there is already not much between centres.
I take your point, but if you turning tool handles do you need a chuck anyway? Will a straightforward MT1 drive centre not suffice?

I absolutely agree, but if you can point me to any Company that makes a GOOD chuck with a 7/16x16TPI thread I would be interested to know.
He meant get a chuck ready machined with a larger insert - some are made to take different inserts - and get an insert made with a 7/8" x 16 thread.
https://www.toolpost.co.uk/woodturn...s-faceplates-etc/sorby-patriot-chuck-and-jawshttps://www.toolpost.co.uk/product/sorby-patriot-insert-78in-x-16-tpi
They are closing down so don't have the chuck, but you see what is meant.

Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum, in last 5 minutes!

I also have an older Coronet Major with 7/8 thread chuck spindle, and the same question, and no success in finding an adaptor.

I have done a design drawing for an adaptor to M33 x 3.5, which is used by many Continental chucks. I'm sending it out to some machinists, hope to get a sharp price via work contacts. The advantage of M33 is that the chuck is close to the spindle, as the adaptor has inside and outside threads. M33 chuck has a DIN800 nose, so is very standardised.

Question is, if I get one made it will be expensive. Making 10 would be cheaper. Would anyone be interested in joint buy?

I'll keep you posted.

He meant get a chuck ready machined with a larger insert - some are made to take different inserts - and get an insert made with a 7/8" x 16 thread.
https://www.toolpost.co.uk/woodturn...s-faceplates-etc/sorby-patriot-chuck-and-jawshttps://www.toolpost.co.uk/product/sorby-patriot-insert-78in-x-16-tpi
They are closing down so don't have the chuck, but you see what is meant.
As Phil stated get the insert from toolpost as there are numerous other companies that sell the Robert sorby chuck such as Olivers woodturning who can even supply both the chuck and the insert you require

Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum, in last 5 minutes!

I also have an older Coronet Major with 7/8 thread chuck spindle, and the same question, and no success in finding an adaptor.

I have done a design drawing for an adaptor to M33 x 3.5, which is used by many Continental chucks. I'm sending it out to some machinists, hope to get a sharp price via work contacts. The advantage of M33 is that the chuck is close to the spindle, as the adaptor has inside and outside threads. M33 chuck has a DIN800 nose, so is very standardised.

Question is, if I get one made it will be expensive. Making 10 would be cheaper. Would anyone be interested in joint buy?

I'll keep you posted.
I would be interested in adapter / insert.
cheers.

I've just found a engineer who has a 7/8" 16Tpi tap and waiting for a price back. Very rare taps to have so I have found.
Will let you know cost when I do.

As Phil stated get the insert from toolpost as there are numerous other companies that sell the Robert sorby chuck such as Olivers woodturning who can even supply both the chuck and the insert you require
Hi Dalboy, Thanks and you are right, that is stocked. But they are a bit premium priced for me, and the Sorby has a M38 thread on the chuck itself, so once you have that insert, you are kind of committed to Sorby. But with an M33 insert you have a wider range of screw chucks, second hand chucks etc, which is why I was going down that road.
Cheers,
R

How do you drill centre hole in the the made handle with MT1 drive centre?
Good question, but I thought you were talking about turning between centres, not drilling. But there are ways of doing it without a chuck - I would mount it on the slot morticer and drill it that way, but I don't know what fittings you have.

Recently was renovating few hatchets and draw knives which needed new handles and after I shaped the outside they needed to be pre-drilled before I burned the tongues through and peened the ends.

Hi R
Ive got a price from a local engineers to CNC machine a insert with a 7/8" 16Tpi internal thread and M33 3.5 external thread.
Prices are:-
1 off threaded insert @ 70.00
5 off threaded insert @ 30.00
10 off threaded insert @ 23.00

Did you get any prices yet and any other interest in joining in a bulk buy?
Anyone else interested let me know please.

Attachments

• Insert for Major.png
    Insert for Major.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi, sorry for late reply, had a few things going on... I had prices slightly higher than that, but I think you need to add some features to the adaptor. The thread is just part of what is needed, it does not locate the parts. For that there is a register diameter and face, these exist for both the internal and external thread. For example for the M33 there is a DIN standard which includes the larger unthreaded portion, so that you get radial and axial location. Without it the adaptor won't centre properly. Things still going on, so I won't be able to join in a buy at the moment.

Regards,
Rupert

Hi, sorry for late reply, had a few things going on... I had prices slightly higher than that, but I think you need to add some features to the adaptor. The thread is just part of what is needed, it does not locate the parts. For that there is a register diameter and face, these exist for both the internal and external thread. For example for the M33 there is a DIN standard which includes the larger unthreaded portion, so that you get radial and axial location. Without it the adaptor won't centre properly. Things still going on, so I won't be able to join in a buy at the moment.

Regards,
Rupert
Sorry just to add one more thing, is the 16TPI thread a Whitworth pattern (55deg angle) or a more normal 60 deg pattern? I couldn't yet measure my spindle, but I think it is Whitworth?

Back