Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear Boris is desperately poorly he's now in the I.c.u one thing I know about is the drs etc who work in I.c.u are absolutely top notch. I have him in my prayers

Still alot of deaths reported today but I feel mildly comfortable that the daily number has decreased from yesterday

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

FatmanG":3ou6l6xz said:
I fear Boris is desperately poorly he's now in the I.c.u one thing I know about is the drs etc who work in I.c.u are absolutely top notch. I have him in my prayers

Likewise. Sadly the stats are 50%.

I hope he pulls through.
As a country we need him to come through this, I think it will raise the mood / spirits of the nation.
Hopefully the tools ignoring all the rules will think twice about their actions, the virus doesn't care about social class and privilege.

beech1948":36fkli4g said:
Earlier I had moaned and groaned about business issues we were facing. You all may not be interested and if so please let me know and we will desist from putting up any business type messages.

We are currently using homeworking as a way out of the dilemma for both support techs, sales and admin for 62 souls. The principle issue is the number of customers who call me and say their issue is life or death for their business and they need a tech or sales person yesterday. They don't seem to understand that non-essential travel means we will not be travelling. So far we have had to make only 11 visits to client sites with our person in an isolated room with a terminal.

I am spending over £1.6 million in getting our customers linked in via their networks so we can still support them remotely. Its become fascinating how many are stumbling over their network access issues and slowing this move down. Currently 61 of over 300+ customers are signed up. This going to be a much slower process than I hoped. We have discussions with Virgin and BT via video tomorrow to try to work out a pre-specc'd network design for secure A to B connections.....I hope it goes well and comes to a conclusive outcome.

We are offering an almost unbreakable network security of 256 bit encryption which is far above anything they normally use and yet they are hesitating due to security issues with their staff. I will not now send out a tech to an AI problem unless they have committed to use a networked approach.....its getting tense in some customers.

Sales are still plugging away but it looks as though we will have to furlough 10 out of 12 staff. Getting these guys back will be a major headache and threaten our forward business.

No customers have left their service contracts so support staff are possibly safe from disaster. Admin is plugging away with us converting to image scanning and sending these out by email.
All a bit Heath Robinson but seems to be workable.

We are currently in deep deep survival mode and though not exactly struggling we will miss all financial targets for this year and might and its a only a strong might break-even this year.

Who would have conceived that in the period of 6 weeks we could go from being the 5 or 6th richest economy in the world to being economically crucified.

Al

I admire your efforts, investment and foresight in ensuring the survival of your business. Good luck. I hope it will also take your business to the next level after this crisis is over, and that the investment you made will pay off well in the long run. And I, for one, am very interested.

We probably are still going to be the 5th or 6th largest economy. Everyone will be dragged down by this, one way or another.

beech1948":2r01jqas said:
Earlier I had moaned and groaned about business issues we were facing. You all may not be interested and if so please let me know and we will desist from putting up any business type messages.

We are currently using homeworking as a way out of the dilemma for both support techs, sales and admin for 62 souls. The principle issue is the number of customers who call me and say their issue is life or death for their business and they need a tech or sales person yesterday. They don't seem to understand that non-essential travel means we will not be travelling. So far we have had to make only 11 visits to client sites with our person in an isolated room with a terminal.

I am spending over £1.6 million in getting our customers linked in via their networks so we can still support them remotely. Its become fascinating how many are stumbling over their network access issues and slowing this move down. Currently 61 of over 300+ customers are signed up. This going to be a much slower process than I hoped. We have discussions with Virgin and BT via video tomorrow to try to work out a pre-specc'd network design for secure A to B connections.....I hope it goes well and comes to a conclusive outcome.

We are offering an almost unbreakable network security of 256 bit encryption which is far above anything they normally use and yet they are hesitating due to security issues with their staff. I will not now send out a tech to an AI problem unless they have committed to use a networked approach.....its getting tense in some customers.

Sales are still plugging away but it looks as though we will have to furlough 10 out of 12 staff. Getting these guys back will be a major headache and threaten our forward business.

No customers have left their service contracts so support staff are possibly safe from disaster. Admin is plugging away with us converting to image scanning and sending these out by email.
All a bit Heath Robinson but seems to be workable.

We are currently in deep deep survival mode and though not exactly struggling we will miss all financial targets for this year and might and its a only a strong might break-even this year.

Who would have conceived that in the period of 6 weeks we could go from being the 5 or 6th richest economy in the world to being economically crucified.

Al

I don't know what your experience has been in getting any CBILS loans to help your business, but in my experience the banks deserve an almighty kicking. With two banks they each tried to push clients towards their own loans with huge set up fees, expensive interest charges and a demand for security. Having battled to get the forms for CBILS loans, they still get hung up on the security issue as they feel exposed because the government guarantee is only 80%.
Also, they seem to have forgotten why businesses are applying for the loans in the first place. Following the social distancing request and the closure of many businesses, companies are looking to preserve their cash and have stopped paying their suppliers which causes problems all along the supply chain. Some suppliers are also now demanding payment of all outstanding invoices regardless of any agreed credit terms, then they require payment in advance for any future supplies. You can imagine what this does to cash flow projections. Banks then look at the financial forecasts and ask why customers aren't paying and begin to question the viability of the business. Of course this then becomes a circle of doom as the banks don't provide finance under the government scheme, cash flow dries up and the banks become more concerned about the viability of businesses and lend even less. Unless there is a major change of attitude, the banks will be responsible for a total collapse of the business sector and unemployment levels will be huge. Thousands of hitherto profitable businesses will be ruined because the banks refuse to provide the cash flow needed to oil the wheels of commerce.

Selwyn":3qiim4gc said:
I do mind (although the portion of people doing this would be miniscule) but I certainly wouldn't be saying they need to be killed by a stranger for doing it.

So if you don't condone an instant bullet between the eyes (which btw I'm 100% with RogerS on that) what would YOU do with such a person who willingly infects another human being with a life threatening virus?

Arrest and jailing is not a deterrant against crime - because if it were, most countries would have low crime rates, instead of overstuffed prisons.

A fine? They've got to have the money first and I'd dare say at the risk of generalising that that kind of scum won't have any.

Turn them into a labourforce work gang? Still requires a prison and costs the taxpayer £38,000 per year EACH, or £11,000 MORE than the claimed average UK wage.

A bullet is humane for them (because frankly my chosen method of deterrant would be far worse), and cheap for us; after a few dozen of those, filmed and made public - people might actually not do it - you know like an actual WORKING DETERRANT.

This is our first major pandemic in living memory, but for our young children very probably won't be thier last, so lessons learned - or not - will shape thier future.

Personally I think one of the reasons we are in this mess is liberalism - in times of peace liberalism can have it's place, but in times of war, and make no mistake this IS a war, liberalism can, and has, killed people.

Inoffthered":1rv8jixt said:
Unless there is a major change of attitude, the banks will be responsible for a total collapse of the business sector and unemployment levels will be huge. Thousands of hitherto profitable businesses will be ruined because the banks refuse to provide the cash flow needed to oil the wheels of commerce.

Was there a major change of attitude with banks in and the years AFTER 2008? (being responsible for a global economic meltdown)

Not that I noticed.

What makes you consider that this time thier thinking will be any different? As long as the BANKS survive everyone else can go **** themselves, it worked for them before.

I'm not saying that their thinking is any different and at no point in my post did I suggest that, what I am saying is that unless there is a major change in attitude, the government's good intentions will be thwarted and the economy will be in ruins, and I mean ruins of biblical proportions.

Praying for Boris he is a likeable chap I wonder if they are going to try Hydroxychloroquine it seems to have good results!

Inoffthered":2x99bk8z said:
I'm not saying that their thinking is any different and at no point in my post did I suggest that, what I am saying is that unless there is a major change in attitude, the government's good intentions will be thwarted and the economy will be in ruins, and I mean ruins of biblical proportions.

Does a leopard change its' spots ? We - that is you and I and corporation taxes bailed out those shysters after 2008...an event caused by their greed and avarice. Now, we're asking them to help and what is their response ? Greed and avarice.

Re the comments on Boris, I think people should take a moment before expressing any negative or flippant remarks. I have my own views about his morals, his truthfulness, and his ability, but at the end of the day he is a human being with parents, siblings, children and a partner. That needs to be respected.

Anyone who wishes anything other than the best for Boris because of something he did or said in the past in my opinion is not a nice person and not a person i would wish to know on any level. A fashionable quote amongst celebrities and one that I actually like is:
Only God can judge

rafezetter":214bf9yu said:
Selwyn":214bf9yu said:
I do mind (although the portion of people doing this would be miniscule) but I certainly wouldn't be saying they need to be killed by a stranger for doing it.

So if you don't condone an instant bullet between the eyes (which btw I'm 100% with RogerS on that) what would YOU do with such a person who willingly infects another human being with a life threatening virus?

Arrest and jailing is not a deterrant against crime - because if it were, most countries would have low crime rates, instead of overstuffed prisons.

A fine? They've got to have the money first and I'd dare say at the risk of generalising that that kind of scum won't have any.

Turn them into a labourforce work gang? Still requires a prison and costs the taxpayer £38,000 per year EACH, or £11,000 MORE than the claimed average UK wage.

A bullet is humane for them (because frankly my chosen method of deterrant would be far worse), and cheap for us; after a few dozen of those, filmed and made public - people might actually not do it - you know like an actual WORKING DETERRANT.

This is our first major pandemic in living memory, but for our young children very probably won't be thier last, so lessons learned - or not - will shape thier future.

Personally I think one of the reasons we are in this mess is liberalism - in times of peace liberalism can have it's place, but in times of war, and make no mistake this IS a war, liberalism can, and has, killed people.
I think the problem is that we in the western world generally have, in material terms, soft and easy lives. Our justice system has also become very soft. A couple of centuries ago you would receive the most dire punishment for e.g. theft. This was rightly recognised as being too harsh on people who often were so destitute that they had no alternative to crime.

I've thought for some time that for some crimes we need to have the option of sentences which carry a degree of brutality as these would be proportionately more effective against people used to a soft life. For offences like the one in question, which are utterly unprovoked, potentially deadly and which can only regarded as being "recreational", I would have thought that severe and extremely painful (possibly public) floggings would be the answer. The stocks could be available for lesser offences like vandalism. Such sentences would be quick, cheap to administer and, I imagine, highly effective in their deterrent influence.

I realise that such a view will provoke outrage from some but I think it worthy of serious consideration. FWIW I want to see a society where people are kind, polite and considerate of their fellows. It might seem odd to resort to such recommendations for dealing with the extreme fringes of civil behaviour.

I realise that this is somewhat off topic but corona is giving rise to a number of side issues.

Hmmmm, people who called me offensive and disgusting for my views that there are some corrupt and power mad Police (admitted true byt the Police themselves last week) are the same people who seem to think capital punishment and vigilante murder are perfectly acceptable. What a topsy turvy world we live in.

Rorschach":1e6uc5dc said:
Hmmmm, people who called me offensive and disgusting for my views that there are some corrupt and power mad Police (admitted true byt the Police themselves last week) are the same people who seem to think capital punishment and vigilante murder are perfectly acceptable. What a topsy turvy world we live in.
I presume that's not directed at me as I don't remember having that discussion with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back