Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bm101":14gvvqnh said:
Also.
Test people on cooking in shops.
Wtf madam. You want to buy 15kg of rice. Are you a keen rice eater?
Ohhh. Yes?
Ahhh and what's your normal procedure for producing a problem free fluffed light basmati?
I... I... boil it? For 25 minutes?

.*Presses Red Button. Yes no problem at all Madam please take the left hand door to leave the store.
*whispers into collar mike* Another live one for mincing... over.

If only. My doctor chum was in his local Tesco and saw a bloke sweating profusely and coughing his guts up. Everyone giving him a wide birth. Why didn't anyone drag the cretin out into the street ?

Chris152":3897kke5 said:
That brought some lightness to my evening, Chris - much needed after the broadcast.

Hearing the broadcast clarified things for me - taking the kids out of school as of today, I can't see the point in me going about the place social distancing, washing and singing endlessly when they're in school coughing and spluttering over each other, sharing keyboards and (most insane of all under the circs) paying for the tray of food they're about to eat for lunch by pressing fingers on the print reader that pays for the meal. No doubt I'll be summoned for keeping them home, but there you go.

Good to see things stepped up, even if it does all sounds a bit optional.

Channel 4 News this evening highlighted for me just how bad these 'journalists/presenters' are. Kathy ??? Wotsit interviewing a junior Health Minister and asked...as you have...what is the point of not going down the pub if your kids are at school. No sensible answer...then the Minister got into the rut wth usual BS spiel. Good question, I thought. But then Kathy Wotsit asked 'When are you going to make it a criminal offence for people to leave their homes'....right on, Kathy, ramp it up with sensationalistic non-journalism.

Have to confess Chris152 I am coming round to your way of thinking. Smart move to take your children out of school.

On the plus side, I thought the Three Musketeer pitch was good and appealed to our 'sense of proportionality'. Hey ho..then I hear what my mate saw in Tesco's and think....maybe not.

Andy Kev.":34774jle said:
To be serious for a moment: It's important that the elderly self-isolate. However, they still have to eat etc. and naturally they will want a bit of fresh air now and then like everyone else.

I wonder if it would make sense for the shops, supermarkets and cafes to reserve a two hour slot exclusively for the elderly. That way they might stay safe because if they've not got it and if the shop assistants wear face masks, they should be OK.

There's bound to be a flaw in my thinking and it might not be practical but I wonder if it's worth a thought.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -customers

There's also various schemes being set up to aid in helping more vulnerable people locally in our communities. Lots to google if people want to show their true colours and not panic.

Von Clausewitz famously observed, "No plan survives contact with the enemy".

I think we can add to that, "No rational appeal for common sense behaviour survives contact with the public".

Andy Kev.":2pfrx2ec said:
To be serious for a moment: It's important that the elderly self-isolate. However, they still have to eat etc. and naturally they will want a bit of fresh air now and then like everyone else.

I wonder if it would make sense for the shops, supermarkets and cafes to reserve a two hour slot exclusively for the elderly. That way they might stay safe because if they've not got it and if the shop assistants wear face masks, they should be OK.

There's bound to be a flaw in my thinking and it might not be practical but I wonder if it's worth a thought.
Iceland are opening half an hour earlier in the morning for us wrinklies.

I'm now faced with a bit of a dilemma. If I'd been ordered to stay home then I'd have grumbled a bit more but gone along with it. Missing out on my very early morning gym visits. But now ? You see, it's a very, very basic old-school iron gym. 24 hour. You let yourself in with the keycode on the door. When I go there's never anyone else there. I wear gloves ...so why not keep going ?

I watched the whole broadcast tonight and I thought they handled it pretty well in the circumstances if you overlook the usual Boris blustering. The 2 experts answered the questions and I thought were honest in admitting they're learning as we go along and don't know all the answers, why do brain dead journalists pose questions like " when will it end?" " can you give us a date? " etc.
Remember these guys are the swan bodies on the lake surface and there's a hell of a lot of frantic paddling action below.

There are a huge number of armchair amateur " experts" among the general public and if it wasn't for the mass hysteria propagated on social media and fuelled by the press and on TV probably wouldn't have the volume of panic buying either.

Chris152":1lpzz6mw said:
Hearing the broadcast clarified things for me - taking the kids out of school as of today, I can't see the point in me going about the place social distancing, washing and singing endlessly when they're in school coughing and spluttering over each other, sharing keyboards and (most insane of all under the circs) paying for the tray of food they're about to eat for lunch by pressing fingers on the print reader that pays for the meal. No doubt I'll be summoned for keeping them home, but there you go.

If you get any comeback on keeping the kids out of school, just say you had a fever and then you'll be following this advice.

"If one person in any household has a persistent cough or fever, everyone living there must stay at home for 14 days"

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I wondered why Boris didn't close theatres and pubs. Then I read this ..

Patrick Gracey, producer of Tom Stoppard's latest play Leopoldstadt, said the prime minister "has just doomed an entire industry by telling people not to attend the theatre".
He added: "By not enforcing a shutdown, production insurance will not apply so producers and shows will go bankrupt, and tens of thousands of people will be without pay."

And thought...aha...someone's had a quiet word in BoJo's ear.

Demusss":2hquf2cx said:
........If you get any comeback on keeping the kids out of school, just say you had a fever and then you'll be following this advice........

That's work for a week or two. Not sure how well it will stand up to 3 months of keeping them home.......

RogerS":1cy5t3lt said:
I wondered why Boris didn't close theatres and pubs. Then I read this ..

Patrick Gracey, producer of Tom Stoppard's latest play Leopoldstadt, said the prime minister "has just doomed an entire industry by telling people not to attend the theatre".
He added: "By not enforcing a shutdown, production insurance will not apply so producers and shows will go bankrupt, and tens of thousands of people will be without pay."

And thought...aha...someone's had a quiet word in BoJo's ear.

Sorry Roger but that is absolutely illogical. In letting industries suffer and leaving tens of thousand without pay the government ends up picking up the tab. It’s simply something that hasn’t been thought through.

They aren't forcibly closing things because how would it be enforced? Brits don't like Police on the streets strutting their stuff, we tend to get a bit rioty about it and there aren't enough anyway.
Works alright in countries like Spain and Germany where the populace is a bit more used to listening to facists, won't work here. Gentle coercion is the best policy.

Bm101":3sud4q28 said:
You'll be counting on first croppers then Bob!

dig em as I need em.

How easy are pasta trees to grow?
or maybe I should be growing dock leaves :wink:

Basically, the Imperial College modelling team cabbage up:

"Perhaps our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over. In the most effective mitigation strategy examined, which leads to a single, relatively short epidemic (case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of the elderly), the surge limits for both general ward and ICU beds would be exceeded by at least 8-fold under the more optimistic scenario for critical care requirements that we examined. In addition, even if all patients were able to be treated, we predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.1-1.2 million in the US.
In the UK, this conclusion has only been reached in the last few days, with the refinement of estimates of likely ICU demand due to COVID-19 based on experience in Italy and the UK (previous planning estimates assumed half the demand now estimated)and with the NHS providing increasing certainty around the limits of hospital surge capacity."

Truly shocking and just as well everyone has been shouting at them. Mitigation dropped today in favour of suppression, ie the strategy they said wasn't needed and/or wouldn't work. Let's hope they pivoted in time.

Source: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperi ... 3-2020.pdf

So they'd planned for "mitigate" and "herd immunity" with a lower social and economic impact allowing for 250k deaths, and realised they'd completely ballsed up their calculations of hospital surge capacity. They aren't willing to say what the numbers would have been, but on the Lombardy model it's somewhere around 6% of diagnosed as opposed to c1%, so 1.5m dead which is about what the government's critics have been saying this strategy would end up with. Cue quick pivot from government without admitting it's a complete strategy change to the suppression model they've been pooh-poohing other countries for pursuing.

Lons":djgz9cc6 said:
... why do brain dead journalists pose questions like " when will it end?" " can you give us a date? " etc ...
Reminiscent of Brian Moore being interviewed about England's chances in the Rugby world cup some years ago - What are England's chances? I don't know, there are too many unknowns. Can you you tell us exactly what these unknowns are? No. They wouldn't be unknown then, would they? :D

Phil Pascoe":1cx814rx said:
Lons":1cx814rx said:
... why do brain dead journalists pose questions like " when will it end?" " can you give us a date? " etc ...
Reminiscent of Brian Moore being interviewed about England's chances in the Rugby world cup some years ago - What are England's chances? I don't know, there are too many unknowns. Can you you tell us exactly what these unknowns are? No. They wouldn't be unknown then, would they? :D

Donald Rumsfeld had all that covered:
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.[1][

What we need are some less panicked, more rational people making the decisions:

[youtube]p_AyuhbnPOI[/youtube]

TN...will you please stop posting this rubbish. It's not a laughing matter. You're not helping. I'm sticking you on my foe list as I can't be bothered to see this drivel any more.

If you can't see the seriousness of this situation then I feel for your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back