Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Racers":32zdpz0q said:
I get an extra day by turning my mask inside out, works with undercrackers as well.

Pete

This is the new me:
darklord-neoprene-face-mask.gif

Doesn't the wearer just get dizzy with that constant spinning round and round? (I'm assuming the spinning is an integral part of the design - centrifugal force will chuck out all the droplets that have entered through all the open holes in the thing).

AES":1zjhz2jz said:
Doesn't the wearer just get dizzy with that constant spinning round and round? (I'm assuming the spinning is an integral part of the design - centrifugal force will chuck out all the droplets that have entered through all the open holes in the thing).

You should try the undercracker version! :oops: :shock: #-o

Chris152":1nm1moft said:
So, the Chinese are over-hyping things in spite of the damage it's doing to their economy? hmm...

That's more to do with secondary measures such as not restarting production after holiday breaks, shutting down entire cities and so on. Whether such measures are actually strictly necessary (or even effective, in the longer term) against the virus is a bit debatable, but it most definitely does impact their economy.

Did my weekly shop this morning, as I usually do on a Saturday morning. From the state of the shelves, there's been definite run on some things (though only my preferred brand of teabags were sold out), and it was a bit busier than usual. I just bought my usual weekly bits and bats, and apart from said teabags, no problem. The lady on the checkout said that yesterday was like Christmas Eve all day - it never stopped. People had trolleys piled high, apparently. Gawd knows why.

I suppose gummint and authorities are in a bit of a cleft stick - damned if they do and damned if they don't. They could say, "Don't panic, folks, it's no worse than flu" and look like a bunch of complacent so-and-so's if a couple of thousand deaths result. Or they could go full-on emergency mode and thus inadvertently cause widespread panic. I suppose until the epidemic (if it happens) has past, we (and they) won't know if they got it right or not.

It seems that if you're in generally good health, it's no worse than flu. Possibly not even as bad. So don't panic, even if you get it. However, for the frail, the elderly, or those with suppressed immune systems or serious breathing difficulties, it can be seriously bad news. Look out for elderly relatives and neighbours, or anyone in poor health. Keep in touch, and see they've got adequate food supplies and lend them a bog roll if you're prepared to spare one!

Lurker

Is Truffle Oil Anti-Virol?

If so do you eat it or apply it (and where do you do so?)?

Seriously, my view on face masks are:-

1 - It stops you from touching your mouth and nose as suggested
2 - It catches droplets the YOU expel therefore giving safety to others
3 - You don't have to talk to anyone!

Phil

lurker":1xkoe4fq said:
It’s getting serious!!
There was no truffle oil in Waitrose yesterday

Blimey, that's posh. Using 3-in-1 on your oilstones would be cheaper.

Cheshirechappie":1mrm592d said:
Chris152":1mrm592d said:
So, the Chinese are over-hyping things in spite of the damage it's doing to their economy? hmm...

That's more to do with secondary measures such as not restarting production after holiday breaks, shutting down entire cities and so on. Whether such measures are actually strictly necessary (or even effective, in the longer term) against the virus is a bit debatable, but it most definitely does impact their economy.
What are secondary measures CC? My understanding is those measures were taken to stop the virus spreading within China, and I've only heard positive comments about that from WHO - most recently, a spokesman said the rest of the world should be grateful to them for taking the measures as it gave us time to prepare, and he wondered if we'd taken proper advantage of that time (I think it was this morning on R4).

ps An Italian minister who studied China was on the radio earlier in the week, describing our handling of the virus as like children chasing a football around the field en mass, rather than strategically trying to get in front of it and stop it. We do seem to be following the curve somewhat rather than taking measure to stay ahead of it.
bar-kick-crowd.jpg

Wrong game, but there ya go.

Attachments

• bar-kick-crowd.jpg
    bar-kick-crowd.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 242
As one in the 'categories' - due to age but nowt else - I was curious to see what the process was after you realise you've become infected.

Self-isolate, lie-down and think of England seems to be the advice and it will all go away (eventually).

But nowhere could I find what the protocol was if you got into serious breathing difficulties.

Chris152":b3iavusw said:
.....and I've only heard positive comments about that from WHO - most recently, a spokesman said the rest of the world should be grateful to them for taking the measures ......

Really ? :shock: That's stretching the truth rather a lot. If the Chinese Government had listed to and acted on the recommendations of the doctor who first identified that something was afoot.....rather than sending the police round telling him to shut up or be arrested....then we would actually have had some warning. Not after the event.

Sadly he died from the virus.

China's initial response to Covid-19 was a monumental cock-up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51364382

True. But presumably the praise is for the actions taken later, which CC was referring to as secondary measures.

Chris152":2y35mhzo said:
What are secondary measures CC?

Primary measures - identify who's got the virus and isolate them (and treat them!) until they're clear of it. As Roger pointed out, if the Chinese authorities had taken the initial alert seriously instead of beating up the doctor that sounded it, they might have contained it enough to avoid;

Secondary measures - postponing international sporting events, closing down factories, isolating entire cities etc etc.

However, the Chinese regime being the blinkered authoritarians they are, they didn't, so we are where we are.

I'm saving time and money by going to the supermarket and finding old frail types with over filled trollies.
No need for any action now. But I follow them home and make a note of addresses. If it all goes off proper I have 25+ stockpiles in my local area where there's a good chance no one is still using the pasta up.
Easy.
Why bother queuing?
:D

Ok, so primary measures = containment; secondary measures = delay?
Containment seems to be failing here, too - in spite of forewarning. Presumably we're now moving into a situation where we need secondary measures - those that the WHO says China has done well to implement.
Unless Boris decides it's best for us to 'take it on the chin'.

Hi All

The Government is taking complete notice, as far as I can tell, of the recommendations of the Senior Health advisers.

If you really want to be frightened about what governments are doing, look no further than USA!!!

Phil

Chris152":eu4d6zue said:
As neither myself or the retired doctor friend speaks Chinese you can be pretty sure I meant UK media rather than from China Chris. :)

Personally I want to be kept informed of the situation but constantly repeated news coverage that offers nothing new does nothing but spread panic as has been seen in the supermarkets. There's precious little other news broadcast at the minute.

I'm healthy but in the at risk age range, my wife has asthma so more at risk and my MIL has asthma, other issues and is 92. Sensible people know what to do and don't need to see people on TV washing their hands whilst singing happy birthday!

One of my neighbours returned from 3 months in Thailand on Sunday night and said everybody walked straight through Heathrow (no health checks) and now on the news they say 2 bagage handlers tested positive.....?

dangles":2y21vkhq said:
One of my neighbours returned from 3 months in Thailand on Sunday night and said everybody walked straight through Heathrow (no health checks) and now on the news they say 2 bagage handlers tested positive.....?

But what health checks can the do ? Yeah, they can point a temperature sensor but that has been proved to be pretty pointless.

Cheshirechappie":515hpljf said:
Chris152":515hpljf said:
What are secondary measures CC?

Primary measures - identify who's got the virus and isolate them (and treat them!) until they're clear of it. As Roger pointed out, if the Chinese authorities had taken the initial alert seriously instead of beating up the doctor that sounded it, they might have contained it enough to avoid;

Secondary measures - postponing international sporting events, closing down factories, isolating entire cities etc etc.

However, the Chinese regime being the blinkered authoritarians they are, they didn't, so we are where we are.

Lots of enthusiasm to put the boot in wrt China, but would any western government have done as well? Italy knew about the virus well in advance, and how is that going? H1N1 originated in USA, was going to kill everyone, and that was spectacular in its failure to be contained. However, because it was USA to blame, no one mentioned it.

As with all things, there is a political element to everything you read. Some of it may even be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back