Cornish fishermen.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of them had the same names as my uncle - which is not unusual, being the commonest Cornish surname.They were positively refined compared to the ones I've known that fished out of Newlyn. :D
A good friend (a guest at our wedding) and his skipper drowned returning to their boat in St. Ives bay in 1991. It's far from an easy or romantic life.

Us Devonians gracefully allow the Cornish to call the place Cornwall, whereas we in fact know that it is actually West Devon.

Devon born, Devon bred,
Strong in the arm, thick in the 'ead.

Devon: my friend Derek used to say "Don't go there! 'Tis haunted!"

I remember mother saying how they used to scald the milk and then skim it when cool . They used to have a cream tea quite often by all accounts.

Nigel.

A live a couple of miles from Rodda's. They must scald an awful lot of milk - they make something like twenty five tonnes of cream a day. Years ago we had Rodda's cream served to us by Air New Zealand ........ flying out of Auckland. :shock: :D

phil.p":20kdh3dx said:
A live a couple of miles from Rodda's. They must scald an awful lot of milk - they make something like twenty five tonnes of cream a day. Years ago we had Rodda's cream served to us by Air New Zealand ........ flying out of Auckland. :shock: :D
I will admit to having made my own clotted cream - there are only a few things you just can't get abroad, and that's one of them. Perhaps I should move to New Zealand...

I love saffron cakes/buns.

Thirty odd years ago my wife and I were taking her parents on holiday to Gweek. We stopped off at Tesco in Truro to get some supplies among which were some Cornish pasties, The others couldn't understand why I complained that they had peas in them.

Nigel.

Apparently pre WW2 Cornwall was the only place in the UK that saffron could be bought without signing for it as a poison - long before the advent of Asian cookery reaching these shores obviously.
One large bakery (I have an inside informer) keeps saffron compressed into blocks the size of house bricks, and requires three very senior members of staff to go together to get it out of the safe on saffron cake baking days.

Something I have often wondered about.........and seeing as its nearly spring.
Can you consume the saffron from bog standard garden crocuses?

Back