corner floating shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
The latest idea from she who must be humoured is corner shelves to be used for home office stuff (printer, spare paper, odds and sads etc) above a corner desk for the laptop
I'm thinking if all of them were floating, that would look nice.
The walls are all solid, no problems on weight bearing or drilling anchors in.

I've never installed a floating shelf, so need to know if its feasible. The shelf (ves) would be 70 cm on each of the right angle sides.

Can you do corner shelves with no visible support?

I fixed some 2x2 to the wall and built shelves as torsion boxes but two edges were 2.5 inboard
I actually made them from MDF and scrap timber that was then painted. Then I fitted with blind dowels a nice bit of natural varnished wood to the front as a face.

The shelf then just slides onto the fixed 2x2.

Biggest problem is likely to be not the walls not being 90 degrees but also tend to have a small curve into the corner. Make some patterns scribed into the wall detail for each shelf as there is likely to be some vertical variation.

The last one I did was admittedly smaller (12") but I used 1" mdf with 3/8" stopped groove in edge, close to the bottom.
Fixed 3/8" bearers on wall and settled to fit.
No glue or fixing of shelf was required.
Cheers Andy

I think I might get out of this one, she wants to get rid of my desk, which holds the laptop but it also has the printer. Upon drawing it all up and sizing stuff, I found that each shelf will only be wide enough for one item, so that would put the laptop at normal desk height, but the printer at her head height, and the paper and junk in the desk cupboard even higher,
8) 8) :lol: :lol:

Also, every printer I've had the pleasure of using has needed lots of extra space all round it, so you can open all its secret flaps when the software insists that there really is some paper jammed inside though you know that there isn't. :evil: :D

A just-big-enough shelf would be tempting the cursed thing too much!

Dam. I tried to repurpose the old desk by shortening it, but it resisted too much.
So now I have nowhere to put the printer OR the laptop :roll:
I'm going to have to get creative because its going to be a long time before ikea is available again.
Shelves are back on the menu. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

I made some like this a while ago.
Admittedly smaller but they could be bulked up, scribe into the corner first.
Rout a dovetail in one edge then a square groove in the other, fix a dovetailed piece of timber onto the wall and a square piece on on the other side.
Slide over the dovetail and onto the square piece, glue or other to fix on.

Merlin

Attachments

• 68FFE255-22B6-46BB-BC50-BADD8492A0C7.jpeg
    68FFE255-22B6-46BB-BC50-BADD8492A0C7.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 41
  • B7A4D7D4-D147-479A-A480-152F33B610C7.jpeg
    B7A4D7D4-D147-479A-A480-152F33B610C7.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 41
  • C3884156-3FE4-4B1F-B782-DF9DDB12924B.jpeg
    C3884156-3FE4-4B1F-B782-DF9DDB12924B.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 6A404EA4-D059-45C7-A476-0AAC1E59DC2A.jpeg
    6A404EA4-D059-45C7-A476-0AAC1E59DC2A.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 41
Clever, but this shelf of mine is over a metre across the front edge, I dont think that would take the weight.

I'm going with birch ply top, with a front lipping of walnut. Bracing the top so it doesnt sag. There will have to be a support around the side walls because I dont want any thing that looks like legs down to the floor.
Cyprus is in curfew mode now, even if I had somewhere to go I need an emergency reason to travel or face a 150 euro fine, so I'm making it with what I have to hand.

Luckily, because its my work in my house, if its rubbish I can just rip it out and start again. =D> 8)

Back