Corner Cabinets....W.I.P (very long with pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailer

Established Member
Reaction score
These have been a on going project for the last eighteen months :shock: but with re plastering and decorating the upstairs of our house....a dining room extension and the birth of our son (9mts now)......i've been a bit busy :D

Now things have calmed down a bit i thought it was about time i got them finished......more to the point there getting in my way :D

Anyway i started building them to go with the two tables i built for the lounge about two years ago

Coffee Table
Tables001.jpg

Side table
Tables005.jpg

The carcases are built out of 19mm beech veneer mdf biscuit jointed together at the back.
I cut dado's and rebates for the shelves and top/bottoms using the table saw with a freud 8" stacked dado cutter

58e45d56.jpg

2f524e98.jpg

I then drilled out the 5mm holes for the shelf supports using a router and home made mdf template.
The holes are 35mm apart and are 16mm dia to match the guide bush.

7b11751c.jpg

Here they are ready for glue up :D

6af07277.jpg

Err....forgot to take a pic of the glue up :oops: but they where clamped using band/ratchet clamps.

I made the fronts out of solid beech....the bevel cuts where ripped on the table saw and again both had dado's cut and the joints where reinforced with biscuits.I cut the two pieces out of the same piece of beech so the matching grain followed around the corner.

236051ca.jpg

The glue up of the fronts

3aec67d2.jpg

Here's one i prepared earlier :D

abe20656.jpg

Gluing the fronts to the carcases

8ae16932.jpg

The bottom was glued in and was edged with beech along with the top and shelf.

Cornice molding was next and this was made up of off cuts glued together...the rebate was cut on the table saw along with the bevel cut which was cleaned up using a hand plane :shock: :wink:

The miters where cut on the table saw using the miter gauge

Tables007.jpg

Tables009.jpg

The units with the cornice and edgings fitted

Tables014.jpg

The space at the bottom was originally for a stand alone dvd player which was part of a home cinema system but i've since bought another one which is a hide away unit so a design opportunity ariose :wink: so a draw was the easiest was to solve the problem :D

Anyway thats the top nearly complete with only the draw and glazed door to do.........now for the bottom half of the cabinets.

More to follow :D

sweet... i hope the corners that they fit into are as accurate as the cabinets look :) Tables are pretty nice too. What is the mdf gadget on the fence for?

Nice one Nailer, I like the metal and combination.

What finish did you use on the table?

I have not used the dado cutter with the 804 saw yet how did it perform ?

They're coming on a treat - and lovely, clear photographs of the WIP too. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Gill

Proper job, Nailer. Looking forward to the next installment. :D Not surprised at no glue-up pic btw; I should think all three hands were gainfully occupied as it was! :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Very impressive,very neat (and hardly any sawdust in sight :wink: )

Definitely something to be proud of - but I still want to see the "finished article" shots :D

Really good looking stuff. Well done.

Looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

Cheers

Tim

Cheers for the comments guy's :D ....just got some rebates to form for the doors then onto the bottom halves.

tombo":3kta2m90 said:
What is the mdf gadget on the fence for?

Its a sub fence i made because i was resawing some 6"x2" pitch pine i aquired but it also doubles as a sacrificial fence for the dado.
The gadgets attatched to it are Board Buddies which i find come in handy when doing long rips and ripping sheet material as all you've got to worry about is pushing it through as they hold the stock tight to the fence :D

Sawdust Producer":3kta2m90 said:
What finish did you use on the table?

I have not used the dado cutter with the 804 saw yet how did it perform ?

The finish on the tables is Ronseal's "does what it say's on the tin" non yellowing satin polly (water based).....not a particular favorite around here :wink: but very durable and for a coffee table just the job.Also i like beech the colour it is and i find oil based finishes have a darkening/yellowing effect on the timber.

As for the dado....no probs at all.....it works well in ply and mdf upto it's full width (22mm/7/8") and as you can see from the pic's it cuts a 19mm dado in beech very well with flat bottoms and no burning :D

Just don't shove the timber through a mach 3 and you'll be fine :wink:

Considering the saws got a 1 1/2 hp motor it handles the dado very well :D

Cheers

Well here's the bottom cabinets.....and thanks again for your reply's :D

The construction of the bottom half is pretty much the same as the top but with out the draws,

The glue up......i decided to glue the backs up first this time around instead of trying to glue it up all at once......but forgot to take a pic again :oops: .. so here's another one of the fronts being glues on :D

CornerCabs005.jpg

Next to go on was the top and bottom rails.......The top rail is a piece of beech rebated over the top shelf and the bottom rail is another piece beech biscuit jointed to a piece of veneered mdf (will be covered by skirting later) with a groove cut in it so it hooks over the bottom shelf.
The faces of the bottom rail and fronts are held flush by sliding a biscuit in from the bottom.
CornerCabs019.jpg

The top is a veneerd mdf with a beech edging biscuit jointed to it.

CornerCabs013.jpg

CornerCabs017.jpg

The moulding around the top was made on the P/T using a sled.The two top pieces were cut at 40 and 50 degree bevels to give me a 40 degree bevel on the moulding.

CornerCabs002.jpg

CornerCabs003.jpg

The top installed with the moulding being glued on.......although it's upside down atm :wink:

CornerCabs022.jpg

The skirting board/moulding was made on the router table using a panel raising bit.The cutter was bigger than the appeture in the router base so the profile was cut by adjusting the fence towards the bearing rather than the depth of cut.

CornerCabs008.jpg

CornerCabs010.jpg

Here thay are with the skirting fitted and the shelf installed.

CornerCabs027.jpg

The to halves put togeather :D

CornerCabs033.jpg

Now....the draws and doors :D

Even more to follow......

Cheers

Loverly pics and very nice furniture.

Did you mean drawers? I am intrigued as to what shape they will be.

Andy

Back