Corian Infill Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

I made this in about 5 hours as a test to see how Corian works.
Brass sides and rectangular brass bar riveted together, I made a tapered ream to flare out the rivet holes, which worked well.

It needs some more work, cleaning up and some chamfers round the top.
I does make shavings and I haven't properly sharpened the blade.

Pete

I like this...but then again I'm biased as I used to work for DuPont!

I use Corian for my guitar nuts and bridges.

Nice!
Did you do a work in progress Pete?

I assume that as std corian is 12mm thick, that's what determined the width of the plane. The Mistral I hav e is 25mm so that could be interesting!

Bob

Hi Bob

It measures 75mm x 40mm and its 13mm thick. I had to cut the Corian down and file it to fit, the brass infill is 1/4".

Pete

Thanks Pete

You've set the creative juices flowing, now I just need to find the time. It's a while since I've had the little metal lathe out so maybe I could incorporate a bit of practice on that as well :-k I've got a nice little collection of brass including some 6mm plate etc.

Bob

Hey Pete, good idea, its pretty heavy and very hard...but you maybe should have used one of the solid, dark colours........those speckly ones really look horrible....nice work though!

I use corian a lot for jig parts and loads of other useful stuff....I love it. Very handy to have some bits in the workshop

You can call them up and blag some free samples for colour samples or wear resistance tests. I got six tiles 4"x4" which will keep me going for the next twenty years with guitar nuts

Well she is finished!

May a bit more polishing.

Pete

Thanks, it works very well

Its two plates riveted together with some rectangular bar and the Corian separating the sides.
Its just like making a sandwich but with metal and Corian.

Pete

Back