Corian Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellringer

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I finished making this Corain box today it was sanded to 1000 grit wet and dry and the 300 and 500 farecla

DSCF7869.JPG

DSCF7870.JPG

DSCF7874.JPG

The only thing i don't like about this one is the top is to big compared to the bottom so I am going to make the next one with 4 sheets for the bottom and 3 for the top.

Also some thing i learnt is that for every thing but drill speed is the key i turned and finished it at 2500 rpm

But i really enjoyed making it

What do people think of it

I think you have done a fantastic job, looks seamless with the lid on, I would agree with your thoughts on the top, aesthetically the top should be subservient, but a lovely box .

NikNak":3rspuusn said:
How are you 'joining' or gluing the sheets together..? :-k

Nick

I use CA glue and a big clamp one thing to make sure is the you rough the faces of the corain up

I really like that, I had to look Corain up though, never heard of the stuff, very innovative use of the material BR!

It was ok i had to sharpen the tool a couple of time but no more then turning some hard woods i did find that having the lathe going fast was the best way to do it

I saw one just like this on a pen forum much better than this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good job, as said before the lid looks better if it is about 1/3rd the size of the base. Finish looks great as well

Dalboy":1ueuyjpv said:
I saw one just like this on a pen forum much better than this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good job, as said before the lid looks better if it is about 1/3rd the size of the base. Finish looks great as well

I saw that one it look the same must be some one copying my work

I like muchly, i've got a lump of corian down the shed, i might just try this on my next project.... (hammer)

Are the joins vertical or horizontal to the box.? and why CA as opposed to epoxy (Araldite)..?

Nick

NikNak":295ad9aw said:
I like muchly, i've got a lump of corian down the shed, i might just try this on my next project.... (hammer)

Are the joins vertical or horizontal to the box.? and why CA as opposed to epoxy (Araldite)..?

Nick

They are horizontal

I used ca first because it what i had and because i have had good success also it fast drying

The main tips i can give you are sharp tool keep the speed down when drilling but speed high when turning

also when clamping clamp it as hard as you can if you want any more advice just ask

Another thing to add to bellringer's post is Araldite does tend to discolour with age and you will end up with some very faint joint lines

I turn a lot of corian & find it easy to turn. I use scrapers as these give the best finish. I turn at 3200 rpm as fastest is best. I dry sand down to 1200 at 1000 rpm then polish withT-cut & finish with burnishing cream at1500 rpm.
This gives a high polish. I use the same method for making acrylic pens with excellent results.
Hope this helps when you come to try corian.
a

Back