Cordless trim router help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieStew

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a cordless trim router.

I have a couple of Dewalt batteries and chargers.

Dewalt is 300 sans batteries. But with some accessories and tstak box.
Makita is 200 sans batteries.
Ryobi is about 80 with nowt.

Any one used any of them? Any opinions? Any others?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi Stew,

I bought the Bosch Pro one about £125 from amazon at the time. It does a good job, but eats the batteries quick. Mind you, i only have 1.5 and 2.0 ah batteries - planning on getting a 4ah for this. I didn't think the 12v stuff would be any good - but it has been a revelation. I have 2 drill drivers now plus the router, and wont hesitate buying this line again.

Ian

Great. Thank you.

How quickly would a 2ah battery last approx?

Something to bear in mind about 12V tools slightly off topic I know. 12V (or 10.8v as they really are) can be very easily run from a car battery.
I have quite a few 12V tools, I much prefer them over the bigger 18+V tools for my needs. When a battery died I used the housing to make an adaptor that lets me run my tools off a car battery, absolutely love it, especially for the more power hungry tools like the sander.

The Bosch looks good. With some batteries and a case, it's £220.

I'm still leaning toward paying the extra for the Dewalt 18v. Less chew with another platform!

Hmmm

I had a play with the DeWilt at this year's FFX show. Nice bit of kit but really, really top heavy! Not too bad in the plunge base but in the fixed base and with a 5AH battery it wanted to fall over more than I was comfortable with. A smaller battery would likely be a bit better but you'd be swapping them far too often.

GeordieStew":2hn5xr0m said:
The Bosch looks good. With some batteries and a case, it's £220.

I'm still leaning toward paying the extra for the Dewalt 18v. Less chew with another platform!

Hmmm

I've not looked at any of the options, but staying with one provider is what they want, it's why after years of using different batteries for the same brand, they all finally worked out that they could just use the same battery for all of their tools, and nail people down to a brand.

There is an undeniable delight in just having a couple of batteries and a charger and it running everything you have!

I have the bosch blue corded trim router and while it performs just fine, it's a pita to micro adjust. The dewalt twist to adjust always looked a better option to me.

I do have a bosch blue 12v driver and it is indeed excellent and solidly built, as are the 2 18v tools I have from them.

I ended up doing the latest task with my OF1010. The cord is still a ballache.

I'll go for the Dewalt next time probably. £300 is a bitter pill...

Thanks for the advice and suggestions

Bit late but I've just bought a Makita DRT50 (Cordless) this week and I can't praise it enough. The sheer power is equivalent to a corded trimmer. Only downside is that everything is an optional extra. Extra's are cheap between 10 and 20 pounds it soon racks up.

Back