Cordless sander... huh! What is it good for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a cordless sander the other day. A fella wandered over and looked at it, and we started trying to come up with a good reason for it to exist. The worry is that it will kill the battery quicker than most other tools, because you tend to use a sander continuously for a long time, rather than stop-start. The other immediate thought was weight in the hand, especially when sanding vertical surfaces.

Given that most sanding takes place in a workshop environment (whether temporary or permanent) then most sanding takes place near an electrical socket, so why go cordless? So you can sand a tree in the woods?

Has anyone derived real benefit from a cordless sander?

And, because Edwin really sells this performance...

Edwin Starr - War (Original Video - 1969)

Certainly questionable in a workshop where it would ideally also be connected to a vacuum hose, unless using it on a down-draft table.

People doing site-work where there is no electrical supply to the property (yet) may benefit rather than running a generator, but I don’t know how common that is.

People doing metal fabrication often use a sander after the grinder to give a better finish. Perhaps on large structures where you have to take the tools to the work, it might make sense, but again, I don’t know if that is a large group of people.

Given that most sanding takes place in a workshop environment (whether temporary or permanent) then most sanding takes place near an electrical socket, so why go cordless? So you can sand a tree in the woods?

Has anyone derived real benefit from a cordless sander?
Alpha-Dave said:
People doing site-work where there is no electrical supply to the property (yet) may benefit rather than running a generator, but I don’t know how common that is.
Well, there are a sufficiently large number of site carpenters, kitchen fitters and other sundry trades to benefit from cordless random orbit sanders that DW have recently followed Makita and Milwaukee into the fray (with a cordless 18 volt ROS), so maybe that answers your question. On larger builds you just don't run generators (the fuel is a fire risk, exhaust pollution issues, spillage control, noise, etc) and you tend to lose the 110 volt supply (more or less HSE mandated) as you get into the finishing phases of any job meaning there is a toss up between lugging a transformer and cables around (always assuming that the sparkies have actually signed off on the 230 volt power and actually switched it on, and that it is close enough for you to be able to use it) or finding a suitable cordless tool. When you additionally take into account the requirement to have all mains powered tools on site regularly PAT tested as well (cordless are exempt), cordless sort of becomes a "no brainer" as they say in America

We aren't doing huge amounts of sanding, though, just stuff like tidying up damaged areas, sanding in 2-packed fillings, tidying up after cutting down doors, blending in scarf joints in skirtings, etc and a million and one snagging tasks, so massively long run time isn't a problem, especially with 5 to 12Ah 18 volt batteries and brushless motors giving good enough duration for many tasks.

In anycase I run 7 x 5Ah and 5 x 6Ah batteries on site (this is not untypical in my experience), so I am hardly going to run out of batteries any time soon

As to metal workers, I find that they tend to use corded tools on the main job then switch to cordless angle grinders (with flap wheels) and cordless narrow belt linishers at the end of the job if there is no mains available. Can't say I've ever seen them use a sander other than a belt sander out on site. Like us their cordless tools are brushless these days

Last edited:
I have a cordless mouse sander, I quite like it. Yes it kills batteries very quickly but you don't use it for long jobs. I like it for knocking off corners on items quickly, taking off rough bits or splinters etc. You would never use it to sand off a finish or paint and you would never do a long job with it, you want corded for that, but I do like it.

Would I pay a lot of money for one? Probably not, I picked mine up for a few quid at a car boot, but I am glad I have it and I use it more (often) than my ROS.

I have a cordless DeWalt sander and am happy with it. I have a number of DeWalt cordless drills and about half a dozen batteries so power and recharge isn’t an issue. Yes, it’s mainly used in the workshop but having no cord means that it can be used away from a power source on occasions.

I have a friend who uses cordless tools wherever possible, including a cordless sander. (He does basic DIY stuff rather than fine furniture, if that matters). His arguement is that it is just easier to use a cordless tool and not have to bother with extension leads. He says he is more likely to just do something about the house (rather than procrastinate) if he can just get on and do the job with no set up time.

I am a hand tool woodworker. A few months ago on impulse I bought a (corded) sander for cheap at a flea market. It didn't work so I spent some time and a little bit of money to fix it. Great. Now I have a working sander, but my workshop has no power. Colour me stupid. So I should have bought a cordless rather than a corded sander - or no sander at all.

A decorator friend has several cordless sanders & thinks they are fantastic, no more dragging extension cables around after him particularly when working on ladders.

A decorator friend has several cordless sanders & thinks they are fantastic, no more dragging extension cables around after him particularly when working on ladders.
Yep I used a decorator recently for our hall, stairs and landing. 10 doors to be glossed.. I just couldn't face it. He used a small,cordless to sand down the doors before painting. Did a good and quick job.

I have a Bosch palm sander with exchangeable heads which is perfect for decorating , and for outside jobs where I just need to take an edge off, or get rid of flaky paint. I dont use it in the workshop as dust collection is a bit hit and miss, but for those odd jobs, (to paraphrase) its absolutely something !

I'm currently looking at buying one, and even went so far as to put a loose battery in a display one at Lidl to try it!
My reason for buying one is that I am about to start a series of craft fairs/markets selling a range of smaller items (cutting boards, charcuterie boards, key racks, live edge framed mirrors etc) and as they will all be transported together, thought the ability to fine finish sand and reapply a finish at the fairs might be useful.

Back