Cordless Drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the DeWalt 18V one a few years ago, must be at least 5, more like 6 years.
Been really happy with it, battery life is what it was when I first bought it and it's had some really rough treatment to which it has stood up well. And when I mean rough, I mean rough. Apart from general duties around the home and workshop, it has been bounced along rough cave passages in a Pelicase and used to scale high pitches underground by drilling 10mm holes in limestone for anchors. Been, wet and muddy but still works perfectly.
Worst of all though, SWMBO used it to put together a flatpack set of bunkbeds :shock: and it survived that a lot better than my car did when she used it. :?
thoroughly recommend it.

These Maktec are made by Makita - don't know what they're like though:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... 3&recno=17.

I've got a Bosch GSR12v, which is OK but not great on keeping it's charge and a metabo 9.6v which probably has greater torque and better battry life (but I've knackered the gearbox trying to drill bricks with it - I know better now :wink: . The Bosch has a much higher drilling speed though, essential for quicker drilling.

The panasonics are supposed to be the dogs doodahs according to all I've read, but they have a price to match.

As to how much you should spend - only you know how much you'll use it.
HTH

Pete

I would thoroughly recommend the Metabo BST12 with the C45 charger (45 minute charge, goes to trickle charge once charged, so cannot overcharge)

How many times can I use the word charge in one sentence? :lol:

NeilCFD

I would choose a price bracket and then start to look for a drill, not the other way round :D

SimonA

I've recently bought a Ryobi 18v job for around £80-£90. I've been very impressed with the build quality and the performance, which in my opinion has exceeded that of the better known manufacturers models of around the same price.
It came with 2 batteries too and a 1 hour quick charger.

Dave
I was recently looking to upgrade my 9.6v Bosch cordless. I went for this drill:
https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/ne...rt=0&max=25&search=dc984&level=2&page=&issue=
Although part of a kit with a cordless circular saw and bought from Toolstation. You can see a review hereand look at the story behind the purchase hereif you're interested.
But the 2.4ah batteries really make a difference as does the huge increase in torque. I was also keen to have hammer mode for DIY jobs around the house.
Cheers
Gidon

I've got the 24V "Ferm" screwfix - with two batteries and 1 hour charge. I've been using it for about 3 years, through masonry, and general DIY. I've drilled through bricks, not just plasterboard on the hammeraction setting. It cost £50. Bargain. Only negative I can see is it's heavy.

I've been using it all week on the my workshop extension - and I can honestly say, it can wind in screws far beyond what I can manage - even when I'm braced against something so I can push hard on a screwdriver - and using a large handle so generating maximum torque. It's been winding 4inch screws in without any problem - so much so that I have to use the clutch, otherwise it winds them straight through the wood.

Adam

Neil":nipy8hoi said:
How many times can I use the word charge in one sentence? :lol:
Missed a trick there, Neil. You should have charged into the debate for a start...

How about a cordless drill that never needs re-charging? Drives screws effortlessly too. :wink: Well it's just as much use as any other suggestion. Six replies, six different answers. :roll: The Panasonics are consistantly well spoken of, but I think it comes down to the individual. Which one takes your fancy/feels the most balanced/has the features you want? It may boil down to which one has the best bundle of goodies or special offer, at least if it was me. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I think SimonA has the best suggestion so far. Work out what you can afford and build a short-list around that. Then try them for balance and weight that suits you best.

Alf":16y8ij8p said:
How about a cordless drill that never needs re-charging?

Yeah but you could get a 18v cordless drill with two batts for that :wink:.

I think Alf's right though - I guess you know pretty much what you're going to get with a cordless drill. Maybe best price for decent make and features is as a good a way as any to decide on your purchase. Oh and to plug a recent edition of GWW - Andy reviews most decent 18v drills on the market. I deemed 18v a little more than I needed and could afford (and after nearly ripping my wrist off with the Dewalt 14.4v I think I was right!), but may still be useful to you.

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":gotahll0 said:
Alf":gotahll0 said:
How about a cordless drill that never needs re-charging?
Yeah but you could get a 18v cordless drill with two batts for that :wink:.
Only if you're insane enough top buy a new one. :roll: That was merely an example. :p There are literally thousands of old braces out there waiting to be loved, and all to be had for peanuts. Go on, adopt a brace today. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf let me charge into the debate and break the balance: i too recommand the Metabo BST12. It's a great tool and I think the charger that stops charging when it's fully charged is worth the money you are charged for :wink:

"Chargez!"

Alf":13s5xy58 said:
Go on, adopt a brace today

I'll come back to you on that one! I probably have one somewhere from my childhood. But I thought things had moved on :wink:.

CYC - as far as I know all the decent chargers switch to trickle charge when the batts are full. My Dewalt charger switches to equalization mode and then trickle charge after they've reached full capacity.

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon":3lddk67q said:
...as far as I know all the decent chargers switch to trickle charge when the batts are full. My Dewalt charger switches to equalization mode and then trickle charge after they've reached full capacity.

Watch out for this, as some of them (e.g. the Blue Bosch models in this £100-ish price bracket) don't have the trickle charge IIRC.

NeilCFD (off to charge his mug of coffee...)

Neil - what does that mean? That if you put a almost fully charged battery in the charger, it'll timer (over)charge it for an hour? A worrying thought ...

Cheers

Gidon

Yes, I would find it worrying too - apart from anything else, the battery will be done for in no time, whereas the Metabo batteries have a quoted life of 3000 charges.

NeilCFD

<edit> I've just remembered where I saw this - a Popular Woodworking review of 12V drills. It has a chart showing which models have a smart charger - the Bosch and Hitachi models they reviewed didn't.

Thanks Neil - I tend to leave the spare batteries on the charger so the Bosch and Hitachi chargers would be no good.
Cheers
Gidon

Latest posts

Back