Cordless drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makita for me, I’m sure other makes are good too, but for support Makita are fantastic
Aidan

I have a Makita from the Nicad era, that doesn't grip drill bits well, but I think the brand is generally good. I recently bought a DeWalt [Li-Ion, of course] which early on was producing metal filings from the chuck when i used a 8mm [I think] bit! Both of those were from the bottom end of those manufacturer's ranges, which may be significant.
Now I don't like buying cheap tools generally, but I've had two Parkside cordless drill/drivers [again years old, so nicads] which are still fine except the batteries are dying or dead. And a Parkside impact driver [Li-Ion] which is excellent, and just keeps going. [Parkside is a LIDL brand, of course.] I'd recommend these, or an Erbauer [sp?] but they probably won't be more powerful than your B&D [assuming it is Li-Ion].
To sum up, to get more power, I'd suggest you'll either need to spend hundreds on a cordless, or go for a mains pillar drill or SDS one.

Makita every time. Love their tools. They seem to hit the price/performance ratio spot on. If money is no object then Milwaukee or festool. Cordless tools are like cameras and inkjet printers. You get tied in to a brand. The batteries (lenses, ink cartridges) are where the profit is made

No-one's mentioned Festool? Okay, they cost a bomb, but I'd like to know their attributes from an end-user's point of view. I like the DeWalt drills I've had for years, but have quite a bit of Festool stuff too. I do like the idea of a small powerful drill, hence my curiosity about Festool's drills.

Regards DeWalt's chuck problems, I read somewhere (on this site?) that if you tighten the chuck by hand to the maximum, then bring it back one 'click' you won't have bits coming out. Can anyone concur?

I've had a DeWalt 18v lithum cordless combi for about 8 years.
It's been excellent & is even pretty good at drilling into masonry when needed.
I had a Makita 18v before that & just wasn't impressed with it (it was a nicad type though).
I got mine on offer from Screwfix. Worth waiting for those offers as you can get a better spec drill for a good price. Get one with 2 batteries is my main tip as otherwise you can end up stuck halfway through a job.

makita 18v is what i have. ive also got some m12 gear that is not cheep but very nice, and one day i may pick up a T18+3..........

but yeah, go for a big name, and you should be ok

and the milwaukee warenty if void if you use the drill, as it has been 'abused'

A few points to consider:
1. For power the 18v li ion has plenty, but I nearly broke my wrist when it stalled on a tough job, any more power in a hand tool would be a hazard. It will do 35mm forstner, but at that size a pillar drill is safer.
2. How much use vs long term quality. For most DIYers a low end DeW, Bosch or Maketa is all that is needed. These are very versatile and can be picked up from an offer at Screwfix, Toolst etc for £100 or so. If you use them a lot, then go for a higher end form these makes. But remember the battery get an offer with a spare
3. The battery is important. Li ion are powerful and reliable but replacement are very pricy. £50 or so. So best to get a deal with a spare or two. In my experience the low wh batteries (was 1.3) now 1.5 or 2ah are good enough for DiY work if you have a spare and keep swapping them. One point made before is, you are often locked into a battery type for the whole range, so you are forced to stick to one of the big 3 for all your tools.
4. Cordless complement corded. I have a corded hammer drill (40 years old B&D) but find the convenience of cordless really useful and use it a lot around the house etc. Quick and easy. Ideally have a pillar drill as someone said earlier - , a corded and some (2 or more) cordless as cordless are really convenient.
5. My personal experience, I ditched my old Nicads from the past x years and bought a DeWalt 18v combination of drill and high torque driver with 2 spare batteries for a deal. and was then given a second drill driver so have 3 with 4 batteries all interchangeable. One chuck failed and was replaced after warranty. They have done a huge amount of work over the past 5 years or so and taken a battering inside and outside. The kids have used them for hobbies and they have been dropped a few times (glad they were not top end).
Hope this of some use.

My youngest son picked up a new de-walt yesterday looks ok for the money and with a new (old) house to renovate it should be fine , myself as I use cordless tool s daily I have got festools and hilti.

Dewalt or Makita, maybe Milwaukee. Those are the main pro-sumer ones. Brands like Ryobi, Erbauer, Macallister,Bosch (green models) are more diy/home gamer.

Like Phil said, lots of tradesmen use Milwaukee...

I think the Bosch core 18v/ 4Ah battery is great. Up to date technology, compact for that much capacity. Now pick a brushless drill from the range but remember to register the 3 year extended warranty because the switch, electronics, LED, battery connector are all built as a single component. Modern design for reliability with fewer connections and wires to go wrong but if it does, a spare part costs more than the street price of the entire drill !

Metabo is also worth a look. All my corded gear from 10+ years ago is bombproof and they have been years ahead of the other guys on high capacity / compact battery tech.

Best prices are online, not at Screwfix etc.

Availability is a big factor in trades-persons choices; dewalt won for years, helped by very visible branding and widespread availability. Ultimately that branding had a sting in the tail; that yellow colour became very attractive to thieves!

But if a trade-person’s key tool dies, they want to get a replacement there and then and so it comes down to what their regular or local supplier has on the shelf. These days, that may often be what Toolstation, Screwfix etc have on offer.

If you’ve a good local, independent tool shop, speak to them. I used to be local to Toolite, who would always price competitively. They shift tonnes of Dewalt, and so can give the best prices on that. But they often recommended Metabo, based upon their experience of use and warranty support etc.

Personally, I’ve got brushless Makita cordless stuff, which is as good or better than anything I’ve used. My brother has had very good experience of Panasonic, though he’s probably going to replace with Makita 12v, for the availability and (the killer) compatibility with business partners batteries and chargers.

Do handle a few; I was going to get Bosch blue stuff but found the ergonomics of Makita better for me.

Its a good idea to settle on one cordless brand and then use this for all products going forward so you have consistency in your batteries meaning you can buy bare tools and use the batteries you already have. So have a look at the other products available in that brand that you think you may need in the future.

Personally I think DeWalt is the best value for money, I picked up a bare drill a couple of weeks ago from ManoMano for £69. Its the DCD796, it has a metal chuck, very well built and is excellent quality. This replaced a lower spec Dewalt i burnt out drilling some holes with a forsner bit. I have 4 18v dewalt batteries (including a Chinese unbranded one) and then have 18v impact driver and the drill above, 10v impact driver and drill, circular saw, orbital sander and planer. They are all excellent tools and are very reasonably priced compared to other brands.

I love the look of Bosch and would seriously consider them but they are more expensive than DeWalt and i havent seen that the quality is that much better to justify the extra cost. Thats not to say Bosch is not good quality, its good just dewalt is good too.

I don't have any user experience with but speaking with a friend who has a metalwork shop, they have used every brand available and said that Milwaukee have been the best quality by far. But then you pay for it...

No-one's mentioned Festool? Okay, they cost a bomb, but I'd like to know their attributes from an end-user's point of view. I like the DeWalt drills I've had for years, but have quite a bit of Festool stuff too. I do like the idea of a small powerful drill, hence my curiosity about Festool's drills.

Regards DeWalt's chuck problems, I read somewhere (on this site?) that if you tighten the chuck by hand to the maximum, then bring it back one 'click' you won't have bits coming out. Can anyone concur?

I have a Festool C12, which is 10.8v, and the best drill for a workshop. It is light, and powerful enough for drilling any screw holes. Most importantly about Festool, is that they come part of a system, which includes an offset chuck for drilling into corners, as well as one for drilling into small spaces ...

Festool-C12.png

I also have the Festool PDC 18/4, which is an 18v 4-speed hammer drill, with incredible power and speed range. This is my allrounder, when I need to drill walls, really large bits (by hand), etc. Like the C12, it also comes with a system of chucks.

21dca1c15a05b433795baa707f9ba091.jpg

These drills use the same charger, which saves space. Note that the great value in these drills is their longevity, balance, ergonomics, and that they fit into a system. More expensive (although I purchased the PDC 18/4 second hand), but it makes up for this in the long term.

Both are about 5 years old now and still using the original batteries, as if new.

The third drill I have is a 25-year old Panasonic 12v. Such a great, balanced drill ...

Panasonic3.jpg

Numerous battery changers over the years. Now using Metal batteries, and as powerful as ever.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced cordless drill? I have a corded black and decker drill but the switch now sticks and I want to replace it with a cordless one. I have a black & decker 18v cordless drill, which is great, but not powerful enough for some of the things I need. It doesn’t cope well with Forstner drill bits or holesaw bits so need something more powerful. TIA
Makita always done well for me ...

Back