Cordless drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer n nails

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I am looking to buy a new cordless drill for my workshop there are so many drills out there, looking for 18- 20 volt and something with a long lasting battery's suggestions please and make and model thanks for your help

A bit more info is needed...

Are you already invested in a brand's system and own other cordless tools?

What will you be using it for?

What other cordless tools might you need / be getting in the future?

Have you any other battery tools? If not, think to the future and pick something you can add to so you make the most of the batteries, as you can buy anything else bare. I got a DeWalt 18v brushless drill (drill only, no hammer - I didn't need it) with charger and 2 x 2ah lithium batteries a year or so ago for about £130, then picked up a bare jigsaw 6 months later for £107.
The drill is a cracker. The difference between brushed and brushless is huge, brushless are so much better - the batteries last much longer too. There's a big difference between 1.5ah and 2ah so I'd look for 2ah or larger. My old 18v Hitachi had seen better days and wouldn't drive an 1 1/4" auger in softwood but the new one put 25 x 1 1/4" holes through 5" softwood before it ran out.

Well to be honest, there's not much in it between the major brands as far as drills go - they're all pretty similar. So instead, I'd recommend looking at what other tools they have in the range that you might be getting in the future.

It's a pain to change systems, so it's always preferable to pick the system that's right for you from the outset.

Makita and Dewalt are favourites for professionals because they take a beating and last for years. Ryobi have a very good 18v range that includes a lot of garden tools, so are great for home owners.

Hi thanks but I have a corded drill but I need to do things outside so with cordless would be easier no cables to get in the way

Mine is a DCD790 which has probably been superceded by now, but it's metal transmission. The one with the hammer wasn't much more money but I didn't need it as I have a good SDS (and elvan chips in the walls anyway) and its being more compact is an advantage. Hunt around whatever you get, there'll be a huge difference in price from the dearest to the cheapest.

The last time I needed a new drill I just went to Screwfix and saw what they could offer with a lithium battery.No way I would buy NiCads any more and they had an 18 volt Hitachi on offer-so I bought it.Good drill-so so chuck and still going after three years of daily use.

I was in a similar predicament 18 months ago. After comparing specs and handling the tools in a shop I came to the conclusion that they're all pretty much the same once you get the "trade rated" models. I settled on Makita as their circular saws have decent cast magnesium bases - Milwaukee and Metabo use naff stamped steel.

hammer n nails":3tdt2ljz said:
Hi I am looking to buy a new cordless drill for my workshop there are so many drills out there, looking for 18- 20 volt and something with a long lasting battery's suggestions please and make and model thanks for your help

I buy a lot of cordless tools for work and for years we used the 18v Makita with lithium ion batteries but have recently moved to the Bosch 18 v and 10/12v again lithium ion the Makita were good the Bosch is much better. In fact the best I have used.

I bought a double pack of Makita hammer/driver and impact driver last year before starting my decking and it was great. Battery lasts ages and holds charge when not in use for weeks too.

Back