cordless drill/driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I asked my wife to get me a new cordless drill/driver after my old one decided to stop working......ok I dropped the sodding thing :oops: anyway she was going to Argos as I needed it quickly and asked her to get a one with a famous make rather than a cheap and nasty one..... I expected to pay around £50.
This is what she came back with http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4396600 :shock: she said the young lad serving on there recommended it :lol:
Ok cost more than I wanted to pay but seems pretty solid and fast charging too, I will try not to drop this one.
The only thing I don`t like about these drills/drivers is the keyless chucks :x I have hand probs and trying to tighten the chuck so the drill bit doesn`t come loose is touch and go....I was wondering about using a strap wrench or similar to tighten it? does anyone else have any tips on how to tighten them?

Cheers
Brian :)

I have to agree with ya guys its a bit pricey and will do my own shopping in future :cool: It does work great but so did my old £30 one.

Cheers
Brian

to be fair to your missus, you were a bit vague about what you wanted. There are a lot of drills around at that price. The salesman in Argos is just a box sifter, He won't know if it's good or not.

My Makita drill/drivers are well over 10 yrs old and showing their age so I bought a replacement a while ago rather than wait until they stopped completely. I was tempted to go for makita again but I realised I would get more use from something smaller that could get into tight spaces, didn't weigh a tonne and I didn't need hammer action. So I bought a Milawaukee, body only for £32..

With a 2.0Ah battery its tiny and fits in the hand lovely. It doesn't come with a chuck as standard, just a hex drive holder so you can fit in hex drive drills or screwdriver bits without needing a chuck.

You do need to buy battery and charger separately which adds about another 50 quid or so if you shop around. There are other makes of sub-compact drivers that may suit. The point is that depending what you want it for, you don't need a chuck, and if you do you can get a hex drive chuck for peanuts. So may be a good idea for your hand problem.

Cheers
Andy

Brian,

if your beloved bought the Bosch from Argos within the last 14 days you could return it and belt over to Screwfix who have the DEWALT DCZ298S2T-GB 18V 1.5AH LI-ION COMBI DRILL & IMPACT DRIVER TWIN PACK for £149.99.

I haven't bought DeWalt for years but was so impressed with the 18v cordless finish nailer that I recently bought I got the impact driver body as it uses the same series of batteries and a green diode laser level.

The combi drill in the Screwfix kit has a similar keyless chuck to your Bosch but I think that most drills these days have them. If you are driving screws though, the impact driver is a straight in/out 1/4" hex bit.

Pat

Back