Cordless drill conundrum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry - Somerset

Established Member
Reaction score
My old Makita (NiCad) powered drill is going to the home for knackered power tools and needs replacement. It has lasted for 10 years+ DiY and worksop use so not upset.

General requireements:

- capable of proper DiY - not professional tool but not basic low powered either
- ideally two batteries although do not need high capacity
- price up to about £100

Any thoughts as to what may be reasonable welcomed - there is a proliferation of different brands and simply want a tool with reasonable power and build quality.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Consider a large battery - you get more driving power from big batteries than small. If you get a 4-5 Ah it should do a full day then you won't need two.

What kind of work do you normally do?

I went for 10.8/12V and so much nicer to use compared to my older 14.4 and 18v NiCd tools.

The latest DeWalt drill driver is on offer at either Screwfix or Toolstation for c£120 with 2 4aH batteries and 120N of torque

Rorschach":2rpdfp2j said:

I went for 10.8/12V and so much nicer to use compared to my older 14.4 and 18v NiCd tools.
An 18v Li ion probably isn't much heavier than a 12v NiCad. I lent my 18v 2ah Dewalt to a guy who was doing some work for me and had left his 18v 5ah Makita with his boss - he said he wouldn't have believed how much lighter and more comfortable over a time mine was. The weight really does make a difference - unless you've hours of heavy work, lighter gear is better. I don't have any issue with 2ah batteries, even in my jigsaw.

Edit - don't even think about anything that isn't brushless - it makes a huge difference.

look for one with metal gears in the gearbox. I bought a pair of Hitachi ones 2-3 years ago 18v lithium one is switchable hammer, one standard. the are called Hikoki now but same tool.
£140 for pair at toolstation

Myfordman":qdyug9li said:
look for one with metal gears in the gearbox. I bought a pair of Hitachi ones 2-3 years ago 18v lithium one is switchable hammer, one standard. the are called Hikoki now but same tool.
£140 for pair at toolstation

I know someone that still (ab)uses his Hitachi on site all the time because it just wont die, one of these but Hitachi rather than HiKoki:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...6376326594-18V-2X2.5Ah-Li-Ion-Combi-Drill-Kit

It's a pretty good drill from what I've used of it, seems very robust too. That particular set comes with the drill, two 2.5Ah batteries, charger and case for £114

I just bought one of these for my father for his big birthday coming up:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Milwaukee-M12Bddxkit-202C-4002395006625-12V-2X2Ah-Removable-Chuck-Drill-Driver

Haven't actually used it on anything properly yet since it's still in its box (I have taken it out and tried it) but it seems very well built and plenty of power. He does quite a lot of awkwardly positioned work so I thought it would be a godsend for certain jobs. Not cheap but it will come in handy, for myself as well :lol:

If I were to be looking for a new drill however, I'd seriously be looking at the Dewalt DCD796N, not a cheap drill by the time you've got a couple of batteries but the build quality is excellent on the newer Dewalt stuff.

Myfordman":3amx4oz9 said:
look for one with metal gears in the gearbox.

This was my main criterion when faced with the same question.
I bought a small Milwaukee 12V drill driver and an even more compact impact driver. Both have been fabulous.
You can get compatible generic batteries much more cheaply. I have 2 originals and 2 fakes (which don't hold as much power but are ok and half the price). Seems to do a full day of jigsaw/drilling/screwing ok.

phil.p":26g91s7l said:
Rorschach":26g91s7l said:

An 18v Li ion probably isn't much heavier than a 12v NiCad. I lent my 18v 2ah Dewalt to a guy who was doing some work for me and had left his 18v 5ah Makita with his boss - he said he wouldn't have believed how much lighter and more comfortable over a time mine was. The weight really does make a difference - unless you've hours of heavy work, lighter gear is better. I don't have any issue with 2ah batteries, even in my jigsaw.

Edit - don't even think about anything that isn't brushless - it makes a huge difference.

I was talking about 12v lion, I don't think you can even buy NiCd anymore.

Rorschach":eys68t7x said:
phil.p":eys68t7x said:
Rorschach":eys68t7x said:

I was talking about 12v lion, I don't think you can even buy NiCd anymore.
Yes. I was referring to your old ones.

phil.p":1fsapc7q said:
Yes. I was referring to your old ones.

Oh I see, sorry crossed wires.

Yes an 18v Li ion is probably about the same weight as a 12 or 14v Ni Cd. The 10.8/12v Li ion drills though are more powerful than my 14.4v NiCd and even lighter again. I think 18v is overkill for a lot of people but they get caught up on having more power.

Trevanion":1ftky0mx said:
If I were to be looking for a new drill however, I'd seriously be looking at the Dewalt DCD796N, not a cheap drill by the time you've got a couple of batteries but the build quality is excellent on the newer Dewalt stuff.
I have one, it's excellent. It's drilled through brick without issue and lasts for weeks at my level of usage. I have a pair of 5Ah batteries that it shares with the garden tools.

Trevanion":2ytdimoq said:
I know someone that still (ab)uses his Hitachi on site all the time because it just wont die, one of these but Hitachi rather than HiKoki:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...6376326594-18V-2X2.5Ah-Li-Ion-Combi-Drill-Kit

It's a pretty good drill from what I've used of it, seems very robust too. That particular set comes with the drill, two 2.5Ah batteries, charger and case for £114

+1 for the Hitachi - I have 3 of them (bought 2 and was given a bare one after the battery died) - 10 years now, regular use, inc drilling walls with the hammer action absolutely cannot fault them.

(thought can't speak for build quality of a new one 10 years on)

I've the 18v DeWalt DCD790 the one without the hammer. It's slightly cheaper than the one with it and it's shorter so better for confined spaces. I have a good SDS so didn't need the hammer. Two 2ah battereries are fine for what I do, and it asn't missed a beat. If you forget the clutch with a 32mm auger it'll take your wrist with it.

I got a twin pack of Ryobi drills 5 years and they are still going strong after daily use.

Although not as refined a tool as a dewalt I can’t fault them. Additional bare unis are really cheap second (especially the blue units) making it afforordable to buy additional tools for a one off job.

I’m sure if you go for a dewalt, Makita, hitachi, Bosch etc it will meet your needs.

Thanks for all your thoughts. In summary the general advice is to:

- get brushless rather than brushed
- metal gearbox rather than some sort of plastic/nylon for strength
- "premium" make for some assurance over quality and spares - eg: dewalt, bosch, ryobi, etc
- avoid potentially variable own brands - eg: macallister, einhell, wickes etc.

Yes to the above. Consider also any bare tools you might buy in the future - it obviously makes sense to stick to a brand. I bought my DeWalt jigsaw bare as I'd bought the DeWalt drill with batteries and charger a few months before.

phil.p":3tvklylf said:
Yes to the above. Consider also any bare tools you might buy in the future - it obviously makes sense to stick to a brand. I bought my DeWalt jigsaw bare as I'd bought the DeWalt drill with batteries and charger a few months before.

Think about future garden machinery too if you go for 18v: I have Makita's cordless strimmer, hedge trimmer, chainsaw etc. for a smallholding. They each take 2x 18v batteries which I share with the workshop tools. I expect the other big manufacturers e.g. de Walt are as good as Makita. Haven't used my petrol tools for ages.

Back